Samples from the Nuno Paper Lamination Class

I just finished Ruth Lane’s online class.  Since I am also papermaker, I was excited to combine the two passions and see the results.

It was a fun experiment using a variety of papers, dyes, paints and fabrics.  Some worked, some didn’t, but that’s how we learn.

This first one is a paper napkin from one of my Grandson’s birthday party earlier this year on organza.  Since I was experimenting, I used some batts with unknown fibers in two colors, blue and green.

20160610_142733

I decided not to further embellish it since the “characters” were nicely defined.  I suppose I could add some greenery and clouds.  But I wanted to show the results this far.

The next one is also “finished.”  I used a tree stencil on organza with unryu paper which is very fibery.  Again it is on a batt of unknown fiber.

20160610_142530

I embellished around the stencil with silver silk hankies.  It felted very nicely.

20160515_143735_edited-1

Since these were experiments, I wasn’t concerned about perfect edges and left them organic.

Here’s a closeup of the center.  You can see how those fiber areas look like branches and connect the trees.

20160611_105442

I got great texture as you can see from this side view.

20160515_144009_edited-1

The one project I completed was a stenciled bird pic.

20160610_142635

I used a couple of paper and fabric types with this stencil, but chose this one to finish even though the colors faded.  It was a dyed paper towel on cotton voile.  You can’t see it in the pics, but the bumps from the towel can be seen in spots. I used it on a merino batt.

20160518_113953_edited-1

I forgot to cover the edges of the voile, so I used machine stitching to cover the edges.

I decided to hand stitch the rest. There is a lot of dimension in the paper, although it’s not too obvious in these pics.

20160609_121737

I wanted to keep it simple.  I used double rayon thread with threaded backstitches and some satin stitches to embellish it. The green is a variegated thread. I purposely just outlined because I wanted the birds to be the center of attention. Forgive my poor stitching. Here are some closeups.

20160609_122027 20160609_121810 20160609_121800

Now I have to decide whether to frame it or leave it organic.

Thanks Ruth!  It was a unique class. I need more practice. I’m still working on the final projects.

This entry was posted in Classes and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Samples from the Nuno Paper Lamination Class

The paper napkin turned out lovely and I agree it needs nothing else. The unryu paper makes great textured trees and, I should think, would work well with other ideas. The birds are pretty and your stitching is perfect for the subject – does the job beautifully!

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Lyn! I was amazed at the how well the napkin turned out. I’ll have to show my grandsons. The unryu paper is unique and you’re right would work with other ideas. I wasn’t brave enough to try the free motion. I need to practice both that and my stitching. 🙂

2. The unryu paper looks intriguing, and it seems like you put in a lot of effort. I applaud you for hanging in there with this class and all its fiddly bits!

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Cathy! It was a lot of experimenting which as you know I like. The fiddly part for me was the stitching. But it’s good practice. The unryu is unique.
      I’ve had it for years and finally found a use for it. Dick Blick carries it.

These are really good Marilyn, the napkin was a great idea! I like how different all the samples are, it shows how versatile the technique is. I think the bird stencil worked well, I like the subtle effect and the texture of the voile.

Thanks Zed! I never understood why I kept the napkin, a memento I guess, but now it’s a piece of art, sort of. :). The technique is very versitle when you consider all the different types of papers and fabrics you can combine. I like the texture of the voile, too, which is why I chose this one to finish.

5. Teri Berry says:

Great experiments Marilyn! It’s funny how some materials turn out so amazingly well like your napkin and a bear that Ruth made from newsprint a couple of years ago. It is a very serendipitous technique 🙂

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Teri! You’re right it’s the unknown that makes it an adventure. 🙂

Marilyn, your birds turned out great with the stitching. I really like the simple stitches that you used. Are you going to frame it? Still haven’t gotten any unryu paper but it’s on my list. Glad you enjoyed experimenting in the class.

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Ruth! Simple is easiest for me to manage. :-). I’ve been thinking about a double mat frame, but it will probably have to be custom made. The class was educational and fun. Let us know when you have a chance to play with unryu paper.