Coin Purses and Plaid

I made some of my recent nuno felt pieces into coin purses. If you saw my last blog post, you might recognise this first one from the photo where it was just two cut out pieces:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis is how the back looks:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThe other piece/purse which was in the photo sold, so I can’t show you that one. I usually add one extra piece to make two sections in my coin purses, but occasionally add another to make 3 sections like I did with this one:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis is how it looks closed:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI can’t remember if I ever showed this next purse after I sewed it up. You might remember it started out as a nuno ‘sample’ – I usually make them big enough to turn into coin purses if I like the way the fabric felts:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAnd I showed it cut out too:

blue green nunoI did sew it up at the end of last year, but I didn’t have the right button. I finally added the button to it:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAnother purse I made used the plaid border of a scarf:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAnd sticking with the plaid theme, I made another plaid inspired piece of felt (because I liked a previous one so much) and made it into a small notebook cover. This is the front:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAnd this is the back:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

This entry was posted in Nuno Felting, Stitching, Wet Felting and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Coin Purses and Plaid

Useful and pretty coin purses zed. Nuno makes them much more durable.

Thanks, Judith 🙂
      Yeah, nuno really makes a difference, I’ve been using my purse for years, it’s always in the bottom of my bag and hasn’t pilled at all.

2. nvukadinovic@gmail.com says:

Beautiful purses, Zed. I love all of them. And they are very practical too.

3. josiedb says:

All so beautiful. I think I will try adding more fabric to my little cell phone bag. I like the idea of no pilling. Thanks for sharing,.

Thanks, Josie 🙂
      I have a little camera bag made from offcuts, the nuno parts haven’t pilled even where the bag sits at my hip (the rest is a bit bobbly, though!)

Loving the coin purses, Zed! You’ve inspired me to make one with the leftover felt I have from a notebook. And just in time too, as my current purse seems to be falling apart.

PS – We need to catch up! It’s been too long 🙂

Thanks, Leonor 🙂
      Show us when you’ve made it, and yeah it has been too long since our last catch up 🙂

Great coin purses Zed and I love the plaid notebook cover. Glad you sold some stuff at your show, did it go well?

Thanks, Ruth 🙂
      It was very hot, 28C outside, and we were under a glass roof! People were nice though, I sold a few things, paid for the stall, but nowhere near covered other costs. I did get a lift home though, which was nice!

Nice variety of the pretty coin purses. Each so unique. I hope the show went well.

Thanks, Marilyn 🙂
      It wasn’t too bad, lots of nice compliments and pleasant people.

All your items shown above are beautiful Zed! And I like the way you put sections in your purses.

You mentioned the ‘sold’ word – how did things work out?

Thanks, Lyn 🙂
      It was ok, we had competition from the tour of the building and a choir, two very pink pieces I made got lots of attention, and one sold!

8. Great little purses Zed. I really like the way you made 3 sections inside. The notebook cover is nice too.

Thanks, Ann 🙂
      I could do with 3 sections in mine, or maybe I should clear the receipts occasionally!

9. tfoz says:

Love these! Thanks for sharing.

10. Teri Berry says:

Beautiful colours Zed and what a great way to use up samples and felt leftovers!

Thanks Teri 🙂
      I probably shouldn’t use the word ‘sample’ I don’t think I use it the same way others do, and I don’t want to give the impression I make these from scraps. I make all the pieces with the intention of making purses from them, I use ‘sample’ to give an idea of the size, because a lot of people tend to think nuno has to be a huge wrap or scarf.

11. For some reason, dated print fabrics look better when Nuno felt! Maybe the wool lends a “cool” dimension to the prints… Love how they all turned out with superb finishing touch! Brilliant!

Thanks, Fleur 🙂
      I’d agree with you about 99 times out of 100, a lot of the silk scarves I have definitely look better than I expect. The biggest exception was some pink, crimplene fabric I ruched and nuno felted, even afterwards, it still looked like I’d used my Nan’s dressing gown to make a book cover!: https://www.flickr.com/photos/zedster01/9714621629/

12. Karen Lane says:

These purses look great Zed and it’s useful to know that nuno is so durable and doesn’t pill.

13. marjorie says:

Really sweet, beautiful purses. Love your stitching too.

14. Pingback: Notebooks and wallets | Felt Buddies (and stuff)