Nuno Felting Again

I’ve got a few oddly patterned silk scarves that I bought from a salvage shop years ago. I think they’re probably from the 80’s and meant to be worn with 80’s Happy Pants! They’re really good for nuno though, so I used some strips with some co-ordinating Merino to make some ‘Happy Felt’ 🙂

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis is the back, probably even brighter:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAHere’s a close up of the first horizontal piece on the top left:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI made this next piece with some fabric I cut from a charity shop dress, this fabric felts really nicely too:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThe orange from the bottom layer migrated through the lilac in the top left corner and spoiled it a bit. I think I used too much wool at this end, it felted differently, I’m trying to remember if I added the lilac in the corner as an afterthought:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThe other part was really nice though:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI cut pieces out for making a coin purse, the other piece in this photo has some other scarves I got from the salvage shop, they are the same patterns, but obviously ‘2nds’ there is over printing and what looks like colour runs, but they’re less gaudy.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis next piece is from a scarf I bought recently, I thought the pattern was unusual. It might become a book cover, but I think the interesting parts will end up inside.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

This entry was posted in Nuno Felting and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Nuno Felting Again

What fun scarves you found. I particularly like the last one. The others look almost 60’s to me. Just need a few peace signs.

Thanks, Ruth 🙂
      I’ve bought a few scarves recently which are polyester like the last one, they felt a lot better than I expected.

Happy felt indeed. Definitely 60s. They all look good, but I favor the last two best.

I’m going against the flow here – I love the first one! Would make super purses and notebooks.

4. My passion is to use thrift store silk scarves, skirts, dresses (the bigger the better) to incorporate into nuno felt for wraps, scarves, journal covers, etc. Hadn’t thought about coin purses….great idea and beautiful work, Zed!

Thanks Louise 🙂
      I like to use nuno for coin purses because it holds up better to being stuck in the bottom of a bag and jostled around.

5. I think anyone who tries polyester is brave. My experience with it has been hit or miss and when it’s a miss on something large like a garment it can be a tragedy. I just tested all of my fabrics and threw all polyester in the recycle bin. I love nuno felting with printed fabrics!

Thanks, Jill 🙂
      I think the polyester scarves I have are a lot softer than general polyester fabric, and the threads are thicker and looser, resembling viscose rather than thin tight strands the size of sewing thread or thinner. I wouldn’t try to felt anything too big with the polyester fabrics I have, they can work fine 4 times in a row, then on the 5th time work at one end and the other is just flapping around! I save those for smaller items and add wisps around the edges.

6. Karen Lane says:

These are beautiful. I particularly like the piece with the orange coming through, I know you hadn’t intended it but it gives a lovely splash of colour.

Thanks, Karen 🙂
      I intended part of it – the obviously orange patches, I tried to follow the more orange part of the fabric and it turned out nicely there, but in the top left corner the bottom layer was orange and the top lilac, or I might have even added lilac after putting the fabric on and realising it was less orange there, it does feel thicker. Luckily I made the pieces big enough so that I didn’t need that patch 🙂

7. I also really love that orange splash – it works brilliantly! Coin purse is a great idea also. They all felted so well, even the polyester! I didn’t realise some worked and others didn’t.

Thanks a lot 🙂
      I think ‘polyester’ can cover so many different things, and produce very different finishes and that’s why some fabrics attach better than others.

8. I love the way the patterns remain. You find the best scarves.

Thanks, Ann 🙂
      I do find a lot of good scarves! I do also have a collection (boxes full) of scarves and fabric which hasn’t been great for felting with too, though!

9. Pingback: Coin Purses and Plaid | feltingandfiberstudio