A couple of weeks ago I posted about the coiled vessels we were making at the well-being centre, and last week I posted about the textured felt vessel I’d started. I finished them both on Monday so can give an update. This is one of the sides of the coiled vessel:
You can see from the gap in the pencil roving where the edge of the circular resist was. There’s a similar gap on the other side:
Fulling the pot caused migration/fuzziness. It’s dulled the silk threads quite a bit, so I’ll probably shave it when it’s fully dry.
This isn’t the best photo, but I held the vessel up to a lightbulb:
The Textured felt vessel still isn’t dry. It’s so thick I think it’ll take a few more days yet. Here’s a photo of it with the balloon still in it:
I couldn’t get really good photos of it, it was too bright near the window and the back was in lots of shadow, but here it is without the balloon:
Here are a couple of photos of the side of it.
Fulling the vessel meant that some of the looser locks felted in more, there was also more fuzziness/migration like on the coiled vessel:
I put this vessel around the lightbulb too, I like how this one looks.
If it looks any different once it’s fully dry, I’ll post an update.
8 thoughts on “Vessels Update”
The shape of the coiled vessel is great and the gap where the resist was actually looks like a lovely (pre-planned) accent!
The locks vessel is gorgeous.
Thanks, Lyn 🙂
I could take advantage of that gap next time, by adding some embellishments on the edge of the resist after the coils are positioned, before doing the wool layers.
I love the texture, shape and fuzziness of the last vessel. They both turned out nice. I hope you can get the silk threads to shine again. They created a nice unique pattern on the vessel.
Thanks, Marilyn 🙂
Me too, those threads really are shiny.
Both of your vessels turned out great. I like the abstract nature of the coiled vessel and the textured one has great texture, imagine that? The shape of the textured one is cool too.
Thanks, Ruth 🙂
it reminds me of some wierd shell or something. Like when you find shells with seaweedy stuff growing on them. I did wonder if this technique might make interesting slippers, but it’s quite hard to control the thickness of the ‘seam’.
I like the coiled one. I like the way the red threads look like they are floating on the surface. If you used a mossy green on a terracotta coloured pot it could quite ancient. I l like the locks one too. A cool flying saucer middle.
Thanks, Ann 🙂
it’s a shame we don’t get more consistent attendance at the centre, we could explore some ideas a lot more with the suggestions from the post comments, like yours!