New Vessels

We decided to make ‘coiled pots’ at the Well Being centre yesterday. At first we were going to coil pencil roving waste around a resist, but thinking about how fiddly that would be, we decided to do a coil on each side of a template. We made really rough resists:

This is the Pencil Roving waste we used:

We put some silk threads onto the resist first. This is mine:

This is Cath’s:

Then started our coils. I chose to do mine directly onto the resist:

Cath decided to make a coil first:

This is how my first side looked:

And Cath’s first side:

We added wisps of wool:

Then two layers of wool. I used some broken Merino tops:

Cath used a grey blend, unknown from Botany lap waste:

This is the coil on my 2nd side:

And with the wisps from the other side folded over:

This is mine with the wisps from the 2nd side folded over. We added 2 more layers each side

Here’s an action shot of Cath felting hers:

This is mine after I started to felt it:

This is Caths when she’d cut the opening and turned the bowl the right way out:

This is mine after I cut the opening:

Cath cut into her vessel opening:

I didn’t get chance to finish mine, but this is how I looked on the bottom just before I rinsed it to bring home:

I will show the finished vessel next time.

This entry was posted in Wet Felting and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to New Vessels

1. Lindsay says:

Great photos. I’ve never come across this technique before so really interesting, thanks for sharing, and I look forward to seeing the finished pots.

That’s an interesting idea. I hadn’t thought of it before either. I look forward to seeing the finished pot. This might be interesting to add to Ann’s pot in a pot idea too.

Thanks, Ruth 🙂
      Good idea! And Cath said it might look good if we didn’t coil the roving so close, so that we had gaps and the undercolour showed, so it’s more stripey.

3. Cool idea. I like the texture you have. Did Cath’s loose its texture or is it just the light in the picture? How do you like working inside out? I had to do that for the inside pot in the double pots. I haven’t really worked that way before.

Thanks, Ann 🙂
      I think Cath felted hers a lot more than I have so far, so it did lose some texture/definition. I’m always surprised when I work inside out that I figure it out right and don’t mess it up!

4. annielynrosie says:

Very interesting technique and lovely texture! Cath’s opening is attractive and suits the pod well – how are you making yours? Or haven’t you decided yet?

Thanks, Lyn 🙂
      I think I might leave my opening, somehow it’s started to form a bit of an out-curving lip which I like.

5. FeltBliss says:

Very neat idea that I’d like to try. Thanks for all the photos.

6. Interesting technique! I love the results. The silk threads really added to the end texture. Well done!

Thanks, Marilyn 🙂
      Yeah, I thought it might felt so closely that it might not be apparent at all that we used pencil roving, so hoped the threads would somehow highlight it. Not sure it worked out like that, though 🙂

7. Antje says:

Zed great technique with interesting texture and looking forward to seeing your finished piece. Fascinating to use skills from other crafts ie ceramic coil pots. I wonder what other skills we could utilise/transfer?

8. Melissa says:

Hi. How did it go from flat to the pot shape?

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )