It’s not even the last day of march and I have my First Quarter Challenge piece done. Here is the link to the challenge if you haven’t see it yet. https://feltingandfiberstudio.com/2016/12/31/2017-quarterly-challenges/
It took me a long time to figure out what I wanted to do. I didn’t want to remake an existing Fauvist painting. Then I remembered a couple of pictures I had when I was a child that had ballerinas in them. One was them dancing at night and one in a French garden. I doesn’t know where the pictures are now but what I remember is that they felt very happy. Fauvism should express emotion with simplified form and bold colour so that was the choice.
I did what I usually do for back grounds, a piece of cotton gauze between 2 pieces of prefelt. It measured about 14×14. Then I positioned my ballerinas. I used silk hanky pieces for the dresses.
I used prefelt, merino top and the large blue piece is a small left over piece of batt I made last year. I then wet it all down and felted it down to 12×12. For an art piece this seems to be enough shrinkage. the size lets me use it for my guilds upcoming art show celebrate Canada’s 150th birthday. https://www.facebook.com/events/282526522160719/
Here it is after felting I think it qualifies as Fauvist.
It was ok but I wanted to emphasise the ballerinas more so I made their skirts 3D by needle felting some more silk hanky on to them.
I liked it before but I like it much better now.
I hope those of you that haven’t made anything yet will be inspired to so something before the end of the month. It was fun.