Not Quite What I Planned

If you visit the forum or follow Zara’s blog, you’ll have seen her challenge to ‘felt the elements‘. I was just making my breakfast the other morning when I had this flash of inspiration and knew what I wanted to do! It seemed so simple, yet would look great. My idea was to lay out a couple of layers of scarlet Merino, then add some wisps of yellow. Then I’d get some two-tone red/yellow organza, fold, sew and ruffle, place on top of the Merino, add a resist, then a couple of layers of black Merino. After felting, I’d cut a slit in the black, remove the resist and the organza would spring out, like flames. For an extra touch of genius, I thought I’d slice the black carefully to reveal cracks of red, like burning coals or molten lava. Well, it just looked like black wool with red migration and a red slit! I couldn’t even get any decent photos of the disaster because I was working on a tutorial and my camera battery died. By the time it charged I had the unusual problem of it being too sunny! Here are a few photos, though. This is the organza flames leaping from the slit:

And how the flattened, crumpled organza really looked:

And the sad little embers under burning coals:

I even tried to do another one quickly:

I did make a nice piece of nuno last week though!

Have you had any ‘seemed like a good idea at the time’ moments lately?

This entry was posted in Wet Felting and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Not Quite What I Planned

1. zararooke says:

Glad to see that you took on the challenge! πŸ™‚ I constantly have good ideas, that turn out to be not so brilliant… But that’s also a way to learn. And I still like the contrast between the red organza and the dark wool. Looks like lava about to pour out.

Thanks, Zara πŸ™‚
      I think the lava look was a fluke due to the bright sun! I’ll keep thinking it over and maybe re-do it!

2. You can’t have all ! I like the nuno felting, Easter is coming and it looks like a tablerunner !
    Maybe you can cut the flames and reuse them in another background πŸ˜‰

Thanks, Jifke πŸ™‚
      The organza felted on more than I intended, it’s only small though, so not much waste. I know I felted/fulled a lot to get it stiff, I probably should have left the middle so the organza didn’t felt in so much.

• Recently i heard somebody talking about elbow grease….. it wasn’t you, was it ?

Ha, yeah, that was me on the foru πŸ™‚

Whaddya mean by “Have you had any β€˜seemed like a good idea at the time’ moments lately?”
    Ha! They happen all the time! But from them comes a bit of learning and sometimes ideas that actually do work.

In theory your idea for fire was great – maybe it just needs a bit of ‘tinkering’ to work?

I love the nuno – the felting has pulled the lines in the flowers into beautiful waves – very ‘arty’.

Thanks, Lyn πŸ™‚
      I did have a couple of other ideas, but I thought this was the easiest and would be most effective. I’d probably have been happy if I wasn’t expecting it to ‘be’ something!

The colors of the flame against the wool have a good contrast. I think perhaps the ‘felting really stiff’ might be part of the issue. It does look like lava.

The nuno piece has a nice spring feel. As it is supposed to snow another 8-10″ today, I need a little spring.

Thanks, Ruth πŸ™‚
      Yeah, I think one of the problems with the first one was during layout, I’ve been doing so many fine layers lately, that I didn’t switch back properly to my regular thickness of layers, so tried to make up with fulling. The other problem being that too pile enough fabric so that it won’t all felt in, is difficult with organza, because it’s so stiff. It was hard to keep the resist flat enough to add the black.
      We’ve finally got some brighter, warmer weather!

Ahh yes, the pictures in our minds are not always workable. But I really think it wasn’t all that bad for a flame. And I do like the Nuno piece.

Thanks, Marilyn πŸ™‚
      Yeah, it wasn’t too bad really. But the picture in my head was great!!

6. Happens to me all the time. Maybe if you had cut out the resist earlier the lava holes would have opened up more.

Yeah. The first one was made at the well being centre, so there was a lot of nattering going on, and probably not much concentration πŸ™‚