Wine Anyone?

I wanted to try making a gift bag for wine in felt.  I first made a resist using the wine bottle as a model.  But I wasn’t sure about shaping the bottom.

2015-04-21 13.59.16

The base layer was black corriedale.  Then I used a layer of merino.  And finally I made a batt using forest green, a heather purple, sage and black bamboo for the last layer.

2015-04-15 16.09.08

For embellishments and design I made leaves from a nuno prefelt and used 100% Peruvian wool thick and thin yarn, locks and needle felted grapes.

I finished fulling the bag on the bottle, but because of the narrowing of the design it’s not an easy in and out for the bottle.

2015-04-21 11.19.22 2015-04-21 11.18.57

2015-04-21 11.18.48

2015-04-21 11.18.16

After it was semi dry, I cut holes at the top to thread some yarn through to tighten it around the neck.  Then I turned down the top and sewed extra leaves on and wound the excess yarn from the  closure around a small dowel to emulate the ringlet vines on a grape wine.

Also, the bottom ended up having “wings” so I tucked them under and sewed them to  the bottom. There was a hollow in the bottom of the bottle so it worked out well.

side finish front finish

2015-04-22 14.38

back finish

It was a little hairy so I shaved it.   Next time, I would only use two layers and redesign the shape.

Even with some problems, I think it will make a nice display on a bar.

Have you made anything similar?  Do you think it needs anything else?

This entry was posted in Wet Felting and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Wine Anyone?

It’s wonderful Marilyn – I like the grape design and the yarn you’ve added to pull the neck in looks just like vine tendrils.
    I understand that it’s a gift bag, but it could be used regularly. Wool is a good insulator, so if you were taking the bottle to a gathering, the wine (from the fridge) would stay cool.

The bottom might have been able to be worked to get rid of the wings if you had a cylinder object (vase perhaps) slightly larger than a wine bottle.
    I’ve used the bashing/rubbing method to reduce volume and get a better fit. I’ve put the form into the felt then, using very soapy fingers, rubbed in a circular motion in the centre of the bottom and slowly worked outwards. That pulls a lot of excess inwards. Then I’ve used the back of a soapy spoon to bash at the bottom and up and around the edge a little to make it snug.

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Lyn! I actually started out thinking of it as a wine cozy, but thought it also made sense as a gift bag. You make excellent points. The Corriedale layer made it very thick and spongy which accounted for most of the bulk at the bottom. Thanks for the advice on the bottom I’ll definitely try that next time!

2. zararooke says:

That is beautiful! I love the idea of a felted wine bag/cosy/insulator and the design with grapes and vines is gorgeous! I might have to make my mother one of those…! 😉

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Zara! I’m sure your mother would love one. Grapes have a special meaning for me. My mother grew them and made jelly every year. Fond memories.

The wine bag is lovely with all of the grape vine details. This is a difficult shape to work with, as I discovered recently when experimenting with something similar. Lyn’s suggestions make sense and would be worth another try. Your bag would make a lovely gift, with or without the wine!

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Cathy! Yes, it was a challenge. If I can perfect the design it would make a wonderful gift especially with wine. 🙂

4. Judy says:

Very very pretty and creative..

Great job Marilyn – if you round out the bottom of your resist instead of making it flat, that might help. Less tendency for corners then.

6. creaphee says:

Indeed It will make such a nice display on the bar !!
    Maybe you can make another with a cove to handle it easily

That turned out really nice, Marilyn, and great suggestions from Lyn and Ruth 🙂

Loved the vines and I think it’s a great idea. Since wool is a great insulator, it would actually keep a chilled bottle cold for longer 🙂 I’m glad the top didn’t come out too narrow, though, which I was afraid would happen. When you shaved it, did you go all over the design?

Thanks Leonor! I didn’t work the top as much because when I put the bottle in there was a lot of resistance. The Corriedale migrated thru quite a bit, but I only shaved everything but the grapes. The locks were quite wild which accounted for a lot of the fuzz. 🙂

10. Great bottle cover Marilyn. I am sure who ever gets it will love it. I have made them before, it worked well for my water bottle too. they are nice to use on the patio in the summer. They keep your wine cool on a hot day.

11. nvukadinovic@gmail.com says:

It turned out really well. I like the decoration on the case and think that the bottle case will make a very useful and nice gift to anyone.

12. josiedb says:

dear Marilyn,
    I think you did a great job, and I love all the fun embellishments you added to make it pop. I too attempted my first one last year. The first one came out very wide at the bottom and much bigger than the wine bottle. Afterwards i narrowed my pattern, shaped it at the bottom as suggested by Ruth above. This time i added a slightly larger wine bottle in the fulling process, so I was able to get better shaping. One came out a tight fit, but after making a couple more I got better. I have given them away, and also use one on my table to add flowers. I will have to share a photo later as I don’t see how i can add in this email. Again great job!

Thanks Josie! Id love to see a pic of one of yours on the forum. http://Www.feltandfiberstudio.proboards.com

What else have you been up to? You know we love pictures!