Yarny Vessel

Yarny Vessel

A few years ago, I wanted to make a felted vessel for my girlfriend, I had an image in my mind of how I wanted it to be, and I wanted it to be ‘perfect’, so it took a few attempts, but I was finally happy.

for SI used two of the practice vessels to make some ‘woolly vessels’ by needle felting locks onto them. One of them was this white vessel. I needlefelted locks of Angora, Alpaca, Wensleydale, Bluefaced Leicester and Kid Mohair onto it, then put it through the washer to make sure the locks were secure, and because a lot of them were unwashed locks.

white locksAnother one I made was this bluey green one, it reminds me of something from under the sea or around the coast. This has hand dyed locks of Angora, Alpaca, Wensleydale, Devon, Bluefaced Leicester and Kid Mohair. And I used texturey wools like dyed Icelandic and scoured lambswool to secure the locks.

100_8160outside cropAround the same time, I had the idea for making a really colourful texturey vessel, by needlefelting pieces of handmade yarn and wool twists onto one of my spare practice vessels. I had quite a large stash of handmade yarn and often made wool twists for projects so thought it probably wouldn’t take much longer than the other two had. I was wrong! πŸ™‚Β  It took a lot longer… about 3 years off and on. I probably could have finished it sooner, and I did have phases where I would make up twists and add them, or sit spinning yarn for a few hours then cut it into pieces when it was dry and spend a few hours needling pieces onto the vessel but it never seemed to get any closer to being done! This last weekend, not feeling well enough to tackle my half finished business plan, I decided to try my hardest to finish the vessel. I got out all my left over yarn, stashes of wool blends and a drop spindle and set to work making a big pile of wool twists and a long length of plied yarn to cut up. I also got out my box of very thin felt offcuts and wet, rubbed and rolled some of those to add too. I didn’t want to wet the yarn and wait while it hung and dried, so after snipping it into lengths I wet and rubbed one end to ‘seal’ it and stop it unravelling. After needling all the pieces into the bare parts of the vessel, I finished off around the top, tidying it up and securing the loose fibres. And this is the result:

And then I put it into an old pillow case and put it in the washing machine with a normal load πŸ™‚Β  It looked like this:

I unsquashed it and gave it a few shakes and spins, ran my fingers loosely through the twists and yarns (there’s a few strips of silk and organza in there too) then sat it on a tub to dry overnight. And this is what it looks like this morning:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI know it’s taken me a few years to finish it, but I kind of feel like making another one now! πŸ™‚

17 thoughts on “Yarny Vessel

  1. It looks wonderful Zed – and it must have made you feel good to finish the pod that’s been hanging around for a while instead of sitting and fretting about a job you can’t do right now.

    It’s a good job that you fiddled with the pod when it came out of the washer – a lot of people would have taken one look at the tangled mess and said ‘Oh well, that’s that then’ and given it to the dog to play with!

    1. Thanks, Lyn πŸ™‚
      Yeah, you’re right, it was nice to accomplish something πŸ™‚
      Ha, I don’t think I’d have dared put it in the washer if I thought it would matt together too much, but it did look a mess when it came out of the machine!

  2. Wow! It looks really cool. I wish I could see it in person because I’m sure the photos don’t do it justice. Hope you’re feeling better soon πŸ™‚

    1. Thanks, Ruth πŸ™‚
      It was hard getting good photos, it’s been really dark here and the camera hates reds and blues at the best of times πŸ™‚

    1. Thanks, Ann πŸ™‚
      I certainly didn’t expect it to be so squashed! I was surprised that it wasn’t more matted or unravelled, mostly it was just the very tips of some twists that joined together.

  3. Oh just commented on your blog for this Zed, i would have had a heart attack seeing all that work nicely matted out of the wash, lucky you have the patients of a saint and untangled all those fibres, it looks amazing and i love the white ones to πŸ™‚

    1. Thanks, Kaz πŸ™‚
      It really didn’t need much untangling, it was just squashed flat. Once I unfolded it and put my hand in the hole and spun it round, it looked pretty much like it did when it dried.

We'd love to hear your thoughts!

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: