Knitting and modeling a shawl

After a big hiatus, my knitting mojo finally woke up, and it was craving complicated stuff, not just the customary stocking stitch pattern.
I’ve a soft spot for lace shawls, particularly those by British pattern creator Boo Knits (find her by searching on Ravelry). Bev also allows knitters to sell finished shawls, as long as they credit her as the pattern author – very useful for a fibre business owner like myself.

I set out to knit a shawl named Out of Darkness. The lace pattern is beautiful, yet simple enough to not drive me mad (as long as I pay very close attention to the instructions and count my stitches frequently).

Lace looks very underwhelming when you’re knitting it. The stitches don’t look defined or “pop,” it’s as if you’ve gone through a lot of trouble for not much.

6DA0253F-E699-4E3D-B695-C45DE89AE58D

Once you block it, however, the magic happens.

DSC_1861

Isn’t the transformation amazing? The pointy bits look on point (pun intended), the beads suddenly make sense and this is now a thing of beauty, luxurious even.

This was intended as the show stopper in my new online shop, so I went out of my way to create decent photos.

DSC_1865DSC_1874DSC_1868DSC_1873

Finally, I also gathered up courage to take some “lifestyle photos,” as they say. I even managed a straight face…

DSC_1845

You know how that classical novel ends with, “reader, I married him?” Well, my story ends with, “reader, I ended up selling this beauty before I finished setting up my shop!” Ah, well.

So here it is, my adventures in lace knitting. What have you created with your hands lately?

About Leonor

Textile artist, indie dyer, conjurer of fluff.
This entry was posted in Beading, Guest Writer, Inspiration, Knitting, natural wools and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Knitting and modeling a shawl

1. I LOVE YOUR HAIR!!
    Also the beautiful shawl. Isn’t blocking just magic πŸ™‚

2. The shawl is stunning! Such beautiful work and love the color. I’m not surprised it sold so quickly. Will you do another?

What a lovely shawl and kudos to you to taking great photos for your new website. I can’t wait to see the new one with your own yarns, what fun!

4. annielynrosie says:

It’s a beautiful shawl – what a difference the blocking makes! Great news that it sold so quickly.

Those fabulous photos are enough to make anyone want to pick up their knitting needles!

• Leonor says:

Thanks, Annie! Bev’s patterns are super affordable, so if you feel like knitting this one for yourself, go for it πŸ˜€

5. Tesi Vaara says:

Lace shawls (and shiny beads) are wonderful! I want to make one!

6. So beautiful, both you and the shawl. The beads really set it off. I have not been in a mood for scarves and shawls , more of a hat mood.

• Leonor says:

Thanks, Ann πŸ™‚ Those beads really make the shawl, I’m addicted to knitting lace with them now.
      I’m sure there’s a pattern out there for beaded hats πŸ˜‰

7. Antje says:

Stunning. The blocking makes such a difference and the beads just lift the lace to a higher level. Love your photos and your lifestyle pic. Well done you for selling it so quickly.
    Realistically this is something I would never be able to achieve as I detest knitting, although I love crochet.
    At the Spring into Wool fest (Leeds, UK) I purchased some lovely variegated dyed thread-fine wool to make a lacy crocheted shawl using a pattern called Harlequin. I had to give up….I just couldn’t release the yarn it was constantly ‘catching’. Any advice would be much appreciated. I should add it was still in its’ hank form, so would winding it into a ball first work?

• Leonor says:

Thanks! Blocking is indeed magical.

Oh yes, you *always* need to wind your skein into a ball! Skeins are good for storing wool because they don’t stretch the fibre and change its length, but when knitting/crocheting them you’ll definitely need to ball them up. A skein winder is best for this, and if you want to go the extra mile you should get yourself a skein holder and unwind the yarn from the outside as you go, so it doesn’t tangle…
      Lastly, remember to match your yarns with your patterns – if it’s a simple pattern variegated/multicolour yarns shine, but if it’s a complicated pattern it’s best to stick to one colour ones or fades, so the eye doesn’t get distracted πŸ™‚

8. Jan says:

WOW that is spectacular! some day i will figure out knitting. in the mean time i will be blown away by yours! it make me think of Gothic architecture and tracery windows. the beads are a nice spark of refection. thank you for showing it. (i wish i had been at the show to see it!)

9. AJ says:

I love knitting lace because it keeps me interested

• Leonor says:

That’s a great reason. I’m torn between wanting a challenge some days (and wanting to see the finished object) and wanting something mindless to keep my hands busy πŸ™‚

• AJ says:

Oh very true! I like my mindless stockinette in the round for watching a movie or listening to a podcast

10. So gorgeous! It’s always amazing to see the before and after from blocking. Beautiful work!

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )