Pandagirl’s 2017 3rd Quarter Challenge Part 1

It took me a while to decide what I wanted to do for the challenge of the Edo period in Japan.  I was drawn to the simple scrolls with flowers and branches.

I scoured the museum sites and Pinterest.  I’ve been to Japan during Sakura (Cherry Blossom) season and particularly love the trees and flowers so it wasn’t too hard to narrow it down.

Since the scrolls seemed to be pale yellow, I made a batt backing then made another light batt using the Osage hand dyed merino and corriedale as a background. I added some darker fibers randomly to give the effect of lines in a scroll.

I had some left over merino/silk scraps from a scarf I had made for my son years ago.  They were supposed to be tassels, but I didn’t like them and cut them off and saved them.  But they make perfect tree branches.  Here is my first layout.

But something was off.  It didn’t feel right to me.  So, I rearranged the branches.

Next was to make white prefelt for the flowers (commercial wasn’t white enough) and cutting out the shapes in several sizes.  This was not an easy process. Here it is a wet look. The neat thing about the layout is that the branch can be down or up.

I didn’t want to felt it too hard.  But I may have to steam it before or after I add either hand or machine embroidery for details.

Actually the photo shows more texture than with the naked eye.

How do you like the branch, down or up?

This entry was posted in Challenges and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Pandagirl’s 2017 3rd Quarter Challenge Part 1

It’s a lovely design and perfect colours for the Japanese challenge – and it’s going to look great with a bit of your stitching.
    I like the branch hanging down.

2. ebsutherla says:

I think I like it sideways, opening to the left. Very nice, Marilyn!!

3. hippopip says:

Looks great I prefer it upside down

4. meterrilee says:

Oooooooo! This is really pretty Marilyn! I like the branch hanging down. I can’t wait to see the finished picture!

5. Subtle and attractive,,,perfect for this challenge. I admire your patience in cutting out so many blossoms. Look forward to seeing your hand embroidery. Branch for me: UP

Perfect for the challenge. It’s nice that you can have the design going either direction. Are you going to add machine or hand stitching? Or haven’t you decided yet?

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Ruth! I’ve done a little hand stitching and may add some machine stitching. It’s very thick so I’m afraid the machine stitching might be too much. I’ll try it though.

Beautiful and what better inspiration than Sakura. Lots of intricate cutting involving lots of patience. Look forward to seeing the next stage.

That’s really nice, Marilyn! I think it would look good whichever way up/down or sideways you put it 🙂

9. A really wonderful design – I also like the branch hanging down the best. Really looking forward to seeing the finished piece!

You could made this so you’re able to change the direction of the branches depending on your mood 😀 This way you get to have a nice artwork that changes once in a while!

11. A great piece for the challenge. I was going to say I like it hanging down but then when someone said sidewase I think I like it best sidewase with the branch going slightly up.

12. Pingback: Pandagirl’s 2017 3rd Quarter Challenge Part 2 | feltingandfiberstudio

13. Janet Morton says:

I think it’s lovely and if it was mine I’d hang it with branch facing down just like our blossom trees look when flowering.