More New Wool

I got some wool tops listed as ‘Arctic Fox’, no other info about what the wool breed might be, just that it is 25 micron. It feels really soft, a lot like Bluefaced Leicester, and it felted really nicely too:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThough it’s soft and felts like a fine wool, it does have some wiry bits:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI tried a variety of fibres it, along the top is Soy top, below that is black Bamboo top (L) and Milk Protein (R), then some Hemp fibre, and at the bottom is Viscose top:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAInterestingly it made the soy look like hemp or flax, which it only usually does with a coarser or curlier wool:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis is a closer picture of the Bamboo and Milk:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAHemp and Viscose:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAnother wool I tried was Skudden or Skudde. I couldn’t find any info on it in English, but there’s a Facebook group with cute lambs: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Skudden It isn’t in the Fleece and Fiber Sourcebook, but apparently it is in the Northern European short-tailed family. I used this straight off the batt without carding it first, so it’s a bit uneven:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAIt felted immediately, it was like it was felted as soon as it was all wet and soapy. It is weirdly hairy though. I was using new netting and thought frayed fibres had come off and got all over the felt. This photo is actually in focus, but the hairiness makes it look like it isn’t. I used black nylon tops, which are actually very black:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis is a close up of the hairy corner:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAClose up of the left side:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAFurther up, it looks like diagrams of cell walls:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAIt’s different to any other wool  I have, it’s unusual, but I like it.

This entry was posted in natural wools, Other Fibers, Wet Felting and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to More New Wool

You’ve almost got a forest scape in third photo down Zed!

You have a very artistic way of looking at things, Lyn, and make me see things I never would otherwise 🙂

Interesting. I haven’t heard much about either of those wool breeds. Sounds like they both felt well though.

You’ve obviously found some good rare breeds. Nice samples.
    Zara, great link!

You know this only means my order list might get longer still, right? 😀 I’m very curious about the black bamboo, does it feel like the regular, white one?
    I have some arctic fox in my list as well, but the light beige one. Let’s see what I do with it. Thanks for sharing your experience, Zed!

Thanks, Leonor 🙂
      The Black bamboo feels a lot finer, softer and fluffier than white bamboo. It’s really a charcoal grey colour, I don’t know how they make it but it isn’t dyed. While the exchange rate is still good, you may as well keep adding, the more you buy, the more you save!

• Leonor says:

I ordered from them, got about 8kg of stuff – not all fibre, but I’m very curious to see the size of that package 😊

8kg!? Mine was a HUGE box and I just got 3.5kg 🙂 I have got a World of Wool list started though which is already over 2kg 🙂

• Leonor says:

Yes, I’m quite scared it might not fit in my flat! We’ll see 😊 I haven’t ordered from WoW yet, let me get though this one first and we’ll see… I’m a fibre hoarder, it’s official!

I’ve gone over into the next weight/price band for delivery on my WoW list, so if there’s anything you want and it’d be cheaper to add to mine/post to you, let me know.

5. Interesting, I like the way the black bamboo sank into the wool becoming one with it. the other seem to stay on the surface.

6. Karen Lane says:

I particularly like the sample 3 down from the top. I could imagine this covered with free motion embroidery using a neutral thread that would disappear and just leave extra texture, beautiful!