I’m going to do workshops at Manchester Museum of Science and Industry MakeFest in August, so I wanted to make a couple of felt samples to get an idea of how much wool I need to order for supplies. I made a 10 x 10 inch sample, using pinks, since I didn’t want to waste my nicer colours 🙂 It actually turned out alright!
The other one I made is kind of double sided. I wanted to try out some multi-coloured Merino I got from wollknoll. So one side is just ‘plain’:
And I thought I’d make the other side colourful and full of extra bright fibres and sparkle to take with me as one of my example pieces, some people seem to be drawn to that:
These are some shiny synthetic threads I saved from a piece of fabric, which I think was synthetic habotai:
And some neon green crimped Nylon:
I also made a small sample using some Stone Sheep I bought and carded. I used some of my dyed Soy tops with it:
I got some wool tops listed as ‘Arctic Fox’, no other info about what the wool breed might be, just that it is 25 micron. It feels really soft, a lot like Bluefaced Leicester, and it felted really nicely too:
Though it’s soft and felts like a fine wool, it does have some wiry bits:
I tried a variety of fibres it, along the top is Soy top, below that is black Bamboo top (L) and Milk Protein (R), then some Hemp fibre, and at the bottom is Viscose top:
Interestingly it made the soy look like hemp or flax, which it only usually does with a coarser or curlier wool:
This is a closer picture of the Bamboo and Milk:
Hemp and Viscose:
Another wool I tried was Skudden or Skudde. I couldn’t find any info on it in English, but there’s a Facebook group with cute lambs: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Skudden It isn’t in the Fleece and Fiber Sourcebook, but apparently it is in the Northern European short-tailed family. I used this straight off the batt without carding it first, so it’s a bit uneven:
It felted immediately, it was like it was felted as soon as it was all wet and soapy. It is weirdly hairy though. I was using new netting and thought frayed fibres had come off and got all over the felt. This photo is actually in focus, but the hairiness makes it look like it isn’t. I used black nylon tops, which are actually very black:
This is a close up of the hairy corner:
Close up of the left side:
Further up, it looks like diagrams of cell walls:
It’s different to any other wool I have, it’s unusual, but I like it.
This is the back of a piece of felt I made from Lincoln wool tops:
I love the way the characteristics of the different breeds reappear with felting, when they’re not very evident from the wool tops. And you get such gorgeous edges with the curly breeds. On the front, I used a blend of Soy top and black bamboo tops. I just blended the tops by hand and laid them on the top:
The shape, texture and colours reminded me of finding oyster shells on the beach. This is the bottom left corner:
This is a close up of the texture:
And a close up of the back:
I still haven’t had chance to even look at the wool I ordered from Wollknoll because I’ve had builders in … for fibre addicts in the UK who don’t already know, the Euro is really low against the Pound at the moment (about 73p to €1) so have a look at their site, 100g of wool is starting around 72p… don’t be alarmed at their prices though, they’re usually given per kilo! I did manage to sneak a ball of rainbow Merino out of the box though and do a little bit of spinning, I also used the tufts I’d used for my colour wheel a while ago. I left it on the spindle for a couple of days then knitted a square from it:
Here’s a close up
And because I love them, a supermacro:
I’m not convinced I’m casting off properly though, all my squares look like they’re one stitch too short!
My sister got me some wool tops for Christmas. Even before I’d seen the colours, I’d decided I’d make her a book cover from whatever she chose, thinking she’d probably choose her favourites. She chose a selection of pinks, not the colours I would have chosen for her, but pinks it is 🙂 I Picked out some shades I already had that I thought would work, I already had a salmon pink, some cerisey purple, reds, maroons and a nice lemon. Then I started to make some batts with my carder.
At first I made up some batts without any other fibres blended in, I’ll use these for the bottom layer which will be inside the book cover. I split them in half lengthways after I’d made them, then rolled them up.
This is one of the lighter batts before I split it and rolled it.
I used some soy top, viscose, a small amount of banana fibre, black bamboo and dyed silk tops to blend in to make the batts for the top.
I rolled these ones a bit differently
I picked some fabrics to embellish the surface with, some silk strips, organza, dyed cotton gauze and some synthetic lacey stuff I bought years ago which looks like it might be meant for tying back net curtains. In the 70’s 🙂
I picked a few more embellishments too. Some silk throwster’s waste, dyed bamboo fibre, commercial art yarns and fibres taken from unpicked yarns.
I’ll show you more pictures when I’ve started to make it 🙂