Very Pink

My sister got me some wool tops for Christmas. Even before I’d seen the colours, I’d decided I’d make her a book cover from whatever she chose, thinking she’d probably choose her favourites. She chose a selection of pinks, not the colours I would have chosen for her, but pinks it is πŸ™‚Β  I Picked out some shades I already had that I thought would work, I already had a salmon pink, some cerisey purple, reds, maroons and a nice lemon. Then I started to make some batts with my carder.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAt first I made up some batts without any other fibres blended in, I’ll use these for the bottom layer which will be inside the book cover. I split them in half lengthways after I’d made them, then rolled them up.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis is one of the lighter batts before I split it and rolled it.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI used some soy top, viscose, a small amount of banana fibre, black bamboo and dyed silk tops to blend in to make the batts for the top.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI rolled these ones a bit differently

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI picked some fabrics to embellish the surface with, some silk strips, organza, dyed cotton gauze and some synthetic lacey stuff I bought years ago which looks like it might be meant for tying back net curtains. In the 70’s πŸ™‚

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI picked a few more embellishments too. Some silk throwster’s waste, dyed bamboo fibre, commercial art yarns and fibres taken from unpicked yarns.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI’ll show you more pictures when I’ve started to make it πŸ™‚

This entry was posted in Fiber Preparation, Other Fibers and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Very Pink

1. I know a lot of artists who will never use pink. However, as you demonstrated, I think that the color offers a variety of options to use with it. I personally like to blend from purple to pink. Anxious to see your results.

2. Josephine says:

What do you use to blend your fibers? I would like to try something like this to give me more variety.

As you say, very pink, but the mixtures are lovely. Those rolled batts look rather like roses. The embellishments will ‘go’ very well. Look forward to seeing the finished book cover.

Is it to cover a Barbara Cartland Novel? πŸ˜‰ Sorry zed, I really couldn’t resist that comment and I know you have a GSH. πŸ™‚

Thanks, Judith πŸ™‚
      Yes, very Barbara Cartland! I might try for more of an early Madonna vibe though πŸ™‚

4. Nada says:

I love pink and the combination of fibers you made is fantastic, as well as all the embelishments. I think some day I’ll need to buy a carder to be able to do something similar! Can’t wait to see the end product.

Thanks, Nada πŸ™‚
      I’d wanted a drum carder for years. I’d like to say it saves time, but it’s something I often get carried away with, so I’m not so sure!

5. Marilyn Nelson says:

Great job of blending. It definitely tones down the pink. I’m sure your sister will be happily surprised when she sees the finished piece. That’s also a great variety of embellishments. I can’t wait to see the finished piece. Have fun!

6. Lovely blending Zed. I can’t wait to see where all those embellishments go. I am always have to try really hard not to be minimalist.

Thanks, Ann πŸ™‚
      I think as long as the embellishments don’t go too far out of the colour range of the wool, it helps. I’ve never liked pieces I’ve made that are too multi coloured. Also, using wool as decoration/embellishment helps too, it links it all together, and not too much thinking about placement.

That drum carder was worth getting – lovely blends! I’d be happy just to sit and look at the batts because they’re so pretty and I’m looking forward to seeing the felt you make with all the above.

Thanks, Lyn πŸ™‚
      I’ve already wondered how I could mount and frame the batts to make a picture out of them!

Those are beautiful batts – pink is really not my color but I bet this will be a gorgeous book cover with the embellishments you’ve chosen.

Thanks, Ruth πŸ™‚
      Pink’s really not mine, I tend to do experimenting with it a lot because I don’t mind ‘wasting’ the fabric or shade of wool. Saying that I’ve probably bought ‘salmon’ shade quite a few times because I ended up liking it πŸ™‚

9. lizseville says:

I love these. Candy floss, sugar frosting, hundreds and thousands, cream ….all the best of rolled up into little pods of fibre.

Such a great example of why it helps to have a drum carder or learn to blend fibers by hand. The results are terrific! I have seen photos of those hand carders or “brushes” that can be used to blend fibers as well but imagine the carder gets better–or at least quicker–results.

Thanks πŸ™‚
      I’ve not had much luck blending with hand carders, I mostly use them for carding scoured wool. I do still blend by hand though and like the effects of that. I still find that more controllable at the moment. You can certainly do a lot more on the drum carder, and it is excellent for ‘refreshing’ older wool which might have started to get matted.

11. I can identify with your color choice — I wrote on my WordPress (Wooly Bliss Feltmaking) blog all about using the color pink, in April 2011. Pink is a powerful color! Your image looks like the start of something fun.

12. April 11, 2011 — that was the date of my essay on WordPress about using the color pink in my fiber art work, and loving it!

13. Pingback: Pink Diary Cover | feltingandfiberstudio