Making a Gift for a New Grandma

As you may be aware my daughter in law Mari  is due to have a baby girl any day.  While we wait for the “phone call,” I decided to make her mother a small cosmetic case/clutch.  This is her first grandchild and she has traveled from Japan to be with her daughter and my son for the big event.

I made a template allowing for a 30% shrinkage rate.  I had planned to use some prefelt and merino, but I realized I was almost out of black merino.  So, I substituted some black Corriedale for a middle layer.  The bottom half of the resist was 9″ x 11″ (23 cm x 28 cm).

2015-03-05 13.50.09

The inside layer was a turquoise merino.

2015-03-03 12.02.44

2015-03-03 12.20.59

The second layer was the Corriedale batt and the last layer was a black prefelt.  Then I laid out the embellishments.  As usual, I was so engrossed in the process I forgot to take pictures.  The embellishments were 100% Peruvian thick and thin hand dyed wool yarn, a turquoise and metallic silver mohair yarn, silk hankies and green and turquoise throwsters waste.  The template for the flap was not used as a resist, but as a pattern for the shape and size of the flap.

2015-03-04 13.54.10

2015-03-04 11.45.10

Once I was finished felting and fulling, I shaped the bottom and sides using an ice cream scoop. The shrinkage was less than I expected.  But it was well fulled so I was satisfied. The finished size was 8″ x 7″ high (20 cm x 18 cm)

2015-03-05 11.24.43 2015-03-05 13.30.51

I used the yarn to put on her initials — ST on the flap and embellished it with a silver button and will either use a velcro or magnetic closure.

2015-03-12 11.32.24

I was pleased with the outcome.  It is sturdy, yet not heavy or bulky.

This entry was posted in Wet Felting and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Making a Gift for a New Grandma

1. zararooke says:

Very nice, I love the colours. So thoughful of you to make this gift. I’m sure she will love it.

2. Nada says:

What a beautiful cosmetic bag! Love the colours and the shape is perfect. I’m sure she will cherish it.

3. Is a a gorgeous bag, I’m sure she will be very pleased with such a lovely gift. x

4. Mary Stori says:

“shaped with ice cream scoop”……..thank you for sharing that tid bit……so helpful! The bag is absolutely lovely, as is your lovely gesture.

Having seen the actual bag, I can say that it’s even more beautiful than the photos show. I recommend the bag be used as an evening clutch!

It’s a pretty bag and a very thoughtful gift that will be appreciated so much. I like the idea of the initials on the flap.

7. Gifts that are one of a kind handmade are something rare that you only receive occasionally. I am sure she will love it.

Very nice and thoughtful. Marilyn 🙂

9. Love the mixture of colors and fibers – very pretty outcome

Very lovely gift Marilyn!

Such a pretty bag Marilyn, I’m sure it will be very well received. 🙂

12. Mary Papaj says:

It’s simply lovely ,beautiful swirls. What did you use for resist?

13. Lovely bag Marilyn, I can never put that many embellishments on something and have it come out so well. It always looks a mess when I do it.

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Ann! I’m not much of a pattern person so I guess I prefer the abstract. 🙂

14. Judy says:

What a very lovely clutch you made. Love it.

15. Angie Norton says:

That is a beautiful bag! The button goes well with the metallic bits of the embellishments.

What a thoughtful present, Marilyn. I hope ST sees the love this handmade gift represents. And, needless to say, it looks beautiful – the blues really shine through with the black! 🙂