Doing some Dyeing

I realised I was running out of brighter colours.  I got the dye pot out from under the snow drift it had become to fix the problem. . I like to dye outside but it much to cold so It was in the kitchen. I was nice and used citric acid instead of vinegar in my dye water. I am not a pro at this. I do not measure as I don’t care if I can get the exact colour again. I like that my dye jobs are many times not an eve solid colour. I will recard it and it will have more life and not be so flat.

I started with yellow. I wanted a nice bright sunny yellow. It bled a lot when it was done.

yellow bleeding

After many rinses it was still bleeding. So I recooked it with more acid, that worked.

Here is some purple in the pot and you can see the dye take up was good.

IMG_2430

and this is all the wool done, some nice bright spring colours.

dyed wool

I have finally taken my own advice and got some PH strips. I always tell people having trouble with dye take up or bleeding to make sure the PH is right. Now I just need to find some tome to do some more dyeing so I can try them out.

This entry was posted in Dyeing, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Doing some Dyeing

Lovely Spring colours Ann. 🙂

Beautiful colours, Ann!

So you think bleeding can be helped with PH strips? I always thought those were good to help with controlling the end colours one gets, because harder water yields different tones than softer water… Hm, one learns every day! 🙂

I love the photo of your spring coloured wool – beautiful!

Beautiful colors Ann! You’re right about the carding it does help.

Beautiful colors – I need to do some dyeing too and those are just the colors I need. Too bad you didn’t make enough for me too 😉

Always fun to have new colors of wool…what kind of dyes did you use?

Great Colours, Ann! I bet they’d make one gorgeous batt with your big carder, it’d be a work of art in itself 🙂