Final Project

Happy holidays everyone and to those who celebrate,  Merry Christmas!

As we wind down for the year and start planning for next year, I’ve decided to share my final project from Fiona Duthie’s Surface Design class.   My intention is to use it as a reminder of incorporating more of these techniques in my felt work going forward.

I didn’t set out to use a specific number of techniques, but let the picture dictate which ones to use.  We learned many more than I used here.

I started with making a bridge using the lace technique and decorated it with pencil roving and stitching with yarn on the top  to create a handrail on top and matching decoration below.

2014-05-16 13.41

I added the cracked mud/tile effect to the ends of the bridge.

2014-05-20 16.03

Before adding techniques and felting

The water is fabric manipulation using some silk habotoi with some shadowing under the bridge.  The hills in the background were prefelt cut outs with silk embellishments for texture.  I also used pencil roving to define the shoreline in the distance.

2014-05-24 16.18

On the beach is a tree trunk made using the shibori and carving techniques then added beads, cotton batting  and gems as inclusions under silk gauze.  I used silk and locks for the water rushing over the sand and to embellish the sky.  There is a 3D water lily on the waters edge.

2014-12-07 12.14b

2014-12-07 12.14

I also added loops on the back to be able to hang the picture.   I debated straightening the edges, but decided I like the organic edges.  While its not gallery material, I enjoyed making it and am proud to hang it in my family room.

The class was fun and I learned a lot.  I would highly recommend it to anyone wanting to expand their felting techniques in a classroom setting working at your own pace.

What projects or techniques are on your list to try next year?

This entry was posted in Classes and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Final Project

It’s a beautiful picture Marilyn and I’m sure you’ll get pleasure from having it in your home – you were right to leave the edges organic.

The cracked mud technique is excellent for the stone bridge and I like the water with the silk.

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Lyn! I’m sure at some point it will be replaced with something new and a refinement of techniques. It’s a good reminder of the things I lesrned.

2. Nada says:

Wonderful combination of different techniques, You’ve learned a lot. Fiona’s class is on my list of to-do things.

That turned out really nicely, Marilyn 🙂

4. Sally says:

Very interesting project. I have not attempted these techniques before and look forward to experimenting in the new year. Just wanted to stop by and wish you happy holidays.

5. Beautiful – I cannot even imagine how many hours that must have taken to complete. As always the work demonstrated here inspires me.

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Frances! There was a lot of step by step planning on which technique to do when. I think it took about four days working on and off.

Looks great Marilyn. Merry Christmas – haven’t gotten around to determining any goals for the year ahead.

7. Judy says:

Hello Marilyn, what a beautiful seascape..wonderful techniques used. Loved the crack mud… I must get around to trying this technique next year. I would be very proud to hang it my living room too.

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Judy! The cracked mud is a fun technique. I’m sure you enjoy learning and using it.

8. Great picture Marilyn it makes me think of the 3 Billy Goats Gruff.

Love it, Marilyn! Especially the sand, the texture is really pretty.

I agree with you, one should always try to improve one’s skills and learn more whenever possible – another item on my 2015 To Do list!