Ingeo, Corriedale and Texture

I’m doing a craft fair next Sunday, 6th July at Victoria Baths, in Manchester, so I haven’t had chance to do any felting this week yet, so these two pieces are from a couple of weeks ago. This first one is dark brown Corriedale wool tops and Ingeo Fibre. Ingeo is a bit different to other fibres I use, it isn’t shiny as such, but it does have a sheen, and there’s also a soft almost ‘fluffy’ feel to it, without it actually looking fluffy. Lyn found this link for how it is made.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAHere’s a closer view:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAHere’s a Supermacro close up:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAnd here’s a supermacro of an area where the fibre were laid more thickly:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAA while ago Marilyn sent me some fibres, one of them being some Domestic 56s wool tops, I tried them out on a texturey piece I made, mostly for the base, but also to add some texture between the base and top layer of 18.5 mic Merino. I liked the way they felted, similar to our English 56s.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI also used some Bluefaced Leicester Noil between the 2 layers. This is lower across the surface:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERASome of the embellishment fibres I used were soy staple fibre, viscose and flax

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI also used milk and bamboo fibres.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

This entry was posted in natural wools, Other Fibers, Wet Felting and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Ingeo, Corriedale and Texture

It’s fascinating to see how the fibres react – the ingeo looks good!

2. Beautiful texture and a great color.

I love the textures you got in the one with the Domestic 56’s. Really cool. And it’s interesting to learn how ingeo is made. Good luck with your show.

Wow, the samples turned out great. I love what you did with the layers. The soy, viscose and flax work really well as embellishments. It’s funny I started a project yesterday using the embellishments you sent me. 🙂
    Good luck at the fair! Take pictures!

Lyn, great link on ingeo. Zed, thanks for sharing!

Thanks, Marilyn 🙂
      I hope you’re project is going well. I’ll try to take lots of photos at the fair!

5. Teri Berry says:

love the textures in this piece Zed, good luck for the craft fair, it looks like it will be a great event.

Thanks, Teri 🙂
      I hope I get enough time to look around, maybe I’ll get bargains at the end 🙂

6. Could you tell me what viscose is? I don’t think I’ve ever heard of it.

7. Great texture, it’s fun to try different things and see what happens.

Always enjoy reading about–and seeing–your experiments! The texture is fabulous.

9. Nada says:

Thanks Zed for showing us all details and embellishment fibres. Is viscose the same as tencel? I got some from Sara’s Craft Shop and looks to me very similar.

You’re welcome, Nada 🙂
      I think Tencel is a brand name of a type of viscose.

10. lynn says:

I love the look of this piece! How did you get it to be so folded and pleated looking after you felted it.

Thanks, Lynn 🙂
      The bottom one? It’s a combination of using wool and wool noil between the layers and manipulating the felt as it is felted/fulled into pleats.

• lynn says:

What exactly is wool noil? I’ve used silk noil but not wool. Is it woven fabric? And then you got the pleats by manipulating the felt while wet? I’d like to try this I like how it looks!

• lynn says:

Hi again, I meant to ask is the wool noil woven or in the form of roving in the inbetween layers? I often use silk chiffon between my layers to add strength.

The wool noil is like woolly ‘waste’ bits, the bits that get combed out when making wool tops, so it’s like woolly fluff. Have you tried using cotton gauze, cheesecloth or muslin between layers for strength, to save money and your good silk?

• lynn says:

HIi Zed, thanks so much for your thoughts and getting back to me. I have tried gauze but not for awhile. I make large pieces of fabric that I make into jackets and coats. Do you think cheesecloth or muslin would work for this? I also usually use black so I would have to cover up the white color although a little peaking through might be nice!

• lynn says:

Hi again Zed,
      Do you have a good resource where I could get some wool noil? I’d like to try it.
      Thanks!

I got mine from World of Wool, but I can’t see any listed on their site right now. It was similar to carded lambswool I bought a few years ago, but they only sell that in bulk now. There’s a couple of photos on this post if it helps: https://feltingandfiberstudio.com/2014/05/10/new-felting-supplies/

• lynn says:

Thanks, Zed. I will do some research and find some. Nice photos!

Thanks 🙂