Since my mind has been under the sea lately, I doodled around and came up with a design that reminded me of coral. I decided to have an odd number of pieces.
I inverted the copies so the arms would be facing in different directions. I used an old shower curtain for the resist then sewed them together.
I soon discovered even though it was a heavy shower curtain it was challenging to get the fibers tight enough around the appendages. The first layer was Romney which may have been a mistake because it is a long staple.
After I covered all the sides with the Romney, I covered each side with nepps because I wanted a bumpy texture. Then the second layer were batts which combined natural hand dyed Domestic 56s with Madder that Cathy (Luvswool) had given me from her artist residency in Arkansas. https://feltingandfiberstudio.com/2015/05/09/dyeing-with-plants/ I was a little short so I used some my own hand dyed orange Cheviot mixed in.
It was a large bundle so there was a lot of rubbing before I could do any rolling.
When I finally cut out the resist I had to use my finger to open up the appendages and rub and roll. My fingers got a real workout! Because the wool had expanded over the shower curtain resist I had to really work each “finger” to get them to shrink and not felt together. But the resulting lumpiness was the look I was going for.
Here it is drying.
It was quite hairy so I had to shave it several times. Here are the different sides.
Here is a view from the top.
After a few more shaves, I decided it deserved a sea setting.
Thank you Teri for providing the tutorial and inspiration! And thanks to Cathy for the beautiful natural hand dyed wool!
Lately, I’ve tried to step out of my comfort zone with color and fiber and try some new things.
While this first example doesn’t look like it’s outside of my usual color palette, I did use some silk for nuno on this clutch and some coarser fibers like Corriedale that I made for my daughter in law. The nuno is not as noticeable as I’d like, but I think it still adds a nice texture to it.
Revisiting pods, I decided to really jump out of my comfort zone and use bold primaries on a black background. (It is a bit like some of Pollack style pictures I did for last year’s challenge.)
Another project I’ve worked on was hand dyed silk I made a while back. I decided I didn’t want a long scarf so I cut the piece in half. I used very little wool wisps on one side. The joke was on me when I was finished felting. It could be a scarf for a doll! It had been a while since I did nuno and evidently forgot about the big shrinkage rate for silk gauze. I do like it though. I think I could wear it as a collar if not a scarf.
Most recently, I decided to play with some neutrals and coarser wools. Cathy (Luvswool) was nice enough to give me some of the Domestic 56 wool she had dyed in Arkansas with plants. I really liked the colors. I made a batt with cream and brown Corriedale and another with some of the hand dyed Domestic 56 for added color. I used a resist open at the top and bottom. The cream and brown became my inner layer.
I really liked the subtle colors against the neutrals. The coarser fibers also added to the texture for a natural open look.
Having progressed through these projects, I have a whole new outlook on textures and colors that I hope to incorporate into my future art.
What have you done outside your comfort zone lately?
I’m doing a craft fair next Sunday, 6th July at Victoria Baths, in Manchester, so I haven’t had chance to do any felting this week yet, so these two pieces are from a couple of weeks ago. This first one is dark brown Corriedale wool tops and Ingeo Fibre. Ingeo is a bit different to other fibres I use, it isn’t shiny as such, but it does have a sheen, and there’s also a soft almost ‘fluffy’ feel to it, without it actually looking fluffy. Lyn found this link for how it is made.
Here’s a closer view:
Here’s a Supermacro close up:
And here’s a supermacro of an area where the fibre were laid more thickly:
A while ago Marilyn sent me some fibres, one of them being some Domestic 56s wool tops, I tried them out on a texturey piece I made, mostly for the base, but also to add some texture between the base and top layer of 18.5 mic Merino. I liked the way they felted, similar to our English 56s.
I also used some Bluefaced Leicester Noil between the 2 layers. This is lower across the surface:
Some of the embellishment fibres I used were soy staple fibre, viscose and flax