Prefelt

There are two kinds of prefelt. One is needled prefelt. Commercial prefelt is done this way. It is needled just enough to hold together.  I use this sometimes, it works very well. I get it in small pieces and by the yard from Dreamspin Fibers. http://www.dreamspinfibres.ca/  (shameless plug for a friend).

The second is wet felted and this is easy to make yourself. Lately that is what I have been doing. You layout your felt as usual but you stop when it is just holding together.  Rinse it out carefully and let it dry. it is till fragile but strong enough to cut out shapes when you don’t want the fuzzy edges that traditional layout gives you.   I have been making  small pieces and some from the ends of some batts that are not big enough to do much with. They are very helpful when you want very definite shapes.

prefelt on table

I don’t have any exact plans for them but they are very handy to have around.

This entry was posted in Design, Fiber Preparation, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Prefelt

1. irene says:

This is a good idea. I’ll keep this in mind, thank you

You can never have enough pre-felt! But it’s usually such a chore to get a pile done – your way seems painless (almost).

3. ali says:

good idea to do a job lot of prefelt – I must do the same some day, ali

Did you make an extra pile for each of us?

I’ve made it a couple of times, it is good for patterns, if it was less effort, I’d do more 🙂

• you need a dryer or a friend with a dryer. It doesn’t use heat so it doesn’t cost a lot to do. I have the room so I have an old one that doesn’t have heat anymore.

6. lizseville says:

I find you can make pre-felt quite quickly using a felting rolling pin and just two layers of top. Lizseville@wordpress.com Principally Felt

7. That’s a great use of smaller bits of rovings. I usually make little pieces of pre-felt before working on a project, (like my wall hanging of Mount Coonowrin), but hadn’t thought about using up smaller pieces of wool tops. Thanks for the idea.