Coppery Bronze Felt

I hadn’t handmade any new felt for a few months until this week. I knew I’d have a spare couple of days for doing layouts and felting, so I went through my supplies and got a few things together. I wanted to make a texturey piece in coppers bronzes and metallic tones, so I chose some commercial art yarns, ribbon, silk tops and silk throwster’s waste in those shades:

metallic suppliesI also looked through my organza and found a few different gold shades:

organzaI mainly used a shade of Merino from World of Wool called ‘Rust’, but used a few other shades and blends aswell so it wasn’t too ‘flat’. I really like the way it turned out.

metallic feltI can’t resist a couple of Supermacro close ups of the texture πŸ™‚

textureThis is one of the organza pieces.

organza textureAnother piece I felted yesterday was a nuno felted piece for Ann’s challenge. I found a quite gaudy vintage pink synthetic headscarf in my supplies and thought I’d make a piece using that. The weather was great yesterday: storm clouds, lightning, thunder, hailstone, but it kept going too dark to take good photos so here’s a sneaky peek at some close ups and I’ll post the whole piece soon. Ripples:

ripplesRuffles:

rufflesHas anyone else made anything for Ann’s challenge yet?

This entry was posted in Nuno Felting, Other Fibers, Wet Felting and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Coppery Bronze Felt

1. Nan Jacobson says:

Is this a wet felting process? Obviously I’m new to all of this.

Yeah, they were both wet felted, Nan. The bottom one is a nuno felted synthetic scarf and the top one has embellishment fabrics and fibres, like organza and commercial art yarns. The yarns are mostly between two very fine layers, to create texture and appear as though they are ’emerging’ in places. It helps to secure them too.

The coppery-bronze piece is lovely! Do you have plans for it?

Ann’s challenge is right up your street – I’m looking forward to seeing the whole thing. Know what you mean about the lousy weather for photos.
    I haven’t nuno’d for the challenge yet. It’s on my ‘things I want to do’ list and working its way to the top.

Thanks, Lyn πŸ™‚
      I made it big enough to use for a coin purse, but I might decide it’s ‘perfect’ for something else!

3. I love the copper colored pieces. So rich in color and texture.

4. The coppery piece is great. The pink looks like it will be very interesting. I have to say I haven’t made anything for the challenge yet. I guess I should get on with that to encourage others.

Thanks, Ann πŸ™‚
      I actually thought I’d be rushing to do mine at the last minute πŸ™‚

5. Marilyn Nelson says:

The pieces are great. I assume the organza is silk. Love the colors and textures. I can see why its a favorite. I’m always amazed how well you get the synthetics to felt so nicely. Have fun.

Thanks, Marilyn πŸ™‚
      The organza is just synthetic organza. I think I just pick fabrics I’m fairly certain will work πŸ™‚

6. lizseville says:

Like this a lot. Lizseville@wordpress.com Principally Felt

7. Karen says:

I really love that coppery piece Zed, the colors are amazing and the sneak peak of the pink one looks interesting, lots of texture. Your felting is always so gorgeous πŸ™‚

I missed this post earlier. I really like the colors in the coppery piece.

9. Pingback: Coppery Felt and Fimo | feltingandfiberstudio