Surface Texture Challenge – Mouldy Cheese

A couple of weeks ago I joked that I’d found inspiration for Ruth’s Texture Challenge in my fridge. I wasn’t really joking 🙂 I’ve always liked the look of mould, but there was a really nice looking piece of mouldy cheese that I thought would be perfect for the Challenge. I didn’t get to photograph it straight away, and the mould had grown a little more than I liked by the time I did, but it still looked good. I discovered that photographing mould is as ‘easy’ as photographing felt, so it’s not a great photo, sorry.

Mouldy Cheese

I started with a couple of layers of merino to get the shape, then I blended different amounts of greens and mustardy merino shades with some plastic fibre for the main mouldy parts and used white prefelt and wool nepps for the white parts, then I wet felted it. I didn’t get the colours quite right, but I like the way it looks and it was fun to do. Now I’m wondering where I should look next for inspiration? 🙂

Felt

This entry was posted in Challenges, Other Fibers, Wet Felting and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Surface Texture Challenge – Mouldy Cheese

I love it! It’s wonderful and it just goes to show that you can find inspiration anywhere. I guess you’ll have to start looking in the garbage dump next 🙂

My cheese gets moldy but it’s never that interesting.

2. shepherdessann says:

It’s great but now you have a piece of felt that looks like moldy cheese. 😉 You could put it in the fridge to see how long it takes your family to figure out its felt.

Thanks, Ann 🙂
      It’s probably twice the size in real life, but maybe I’ll do a little one just for a joke 🙂

3. Hard to tell the difference between the real mouldy cheese and the felt imitation! Outstanding, Zed!
    Imagine if you’d use this mouldy looking felt as a glass case, or even a cell phone protector? Hihi!

You’ve replicated that mouldy cheese perfectly!!!! Just don’t ask us round for a cheese and wine evening!!!

5. kwinter12 says:

Brilliant! I just found some slimy carrots at the bottom of my veg rack – happy to send them on if you like. 😉

6. Karen says:

Wow Zed that is amazing and it is hard to tell the difference between the two. I have a wilted lettuce in my fridge so add that to the carrots and cheese and were all ready for a feast lol

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )