Penquin’s 2017 Christmas Card

Penquin (Anne Hickley) made me a beautiful Panda card for the holiday exchange.  For some reason I was stuck on the idea of a Poinsettia.  You may have already seen it on the Forum.

I made one for myself last year to hang as a decoration and wanted to do another.  Of course, making a card became more complicated than I had anticipated.  But I enjoyed making it.

I started out making thin red prefelt and cut out 5 or 6 layers of different sizes, putting plastic wrap between each layer leaving a hole in the center so they’d all felt together.  I had some green for the leaves and laid those underneath.  Unfortunately, I didn’t take pictures before I felted them.  But here is the flower after felting with beads for the center.

I stitched each petal and leaf.

Then I felted a white background with some sparkly fabric for a snowy effect.

I did another without the sparkle to be the back.  On the back I used Luminescent paint to write the words.

Now it was time to put it all together.  I used stabilizer on the back of the sparkly piece and sewed the flower on by hand.

Then the fun part was putting them together using the blanket stitch.

I’m happy Penguin enjoyed it and hope everyone is ready for the holidays!

This entry was posted in 3D, Wet Felting and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Penquin’s 2017 Christmas Card

It’s a beautiful card Marilyn and I very much like the stitched message on the back. The beads in the centre of the poinsettia and the sparkly white background give the card its Christmas bling!

2. Tracey says:

It is a lovely card Marilyn, with a lot of thought and work, and of course your trademark bling!

A very pretty card Marilyn. Seasonal frosty snow. Poinsettia and a message of Peace say Christmas so well. 🙂

Beautiful card Marilyn! It turned out very well and I’m sure it will be treasured for years to come.

5. What a thoughtful way to say Merry Christmas! Your card could be used as a decoration every year.

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Cathy! That’s a nice idea. I know I will hang her panda card to me. Pandagirl can never have enough pandas. 😉

6. FeltBliss says:

A beautifully felted Christmas card and a wonderful idea. I’ve yet to make a card using felt but maybe next year.

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Feltbliss! I hope you get to try it. It’s is a different experience working small. 🙂

7. Karen Lane says:

I would rather receive a beautiful, thoughtful handmade card like this than any number of shop bought cards. Your friend will be thrilled!

It turned out really nice, Marilyn 🙂

9. Flextiles says:

Lovely idea – and she could remove the poinsettia and use it as a brooch afterwards!

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w