New Felted Hat in Progress
If you are on the forum you may have seen the resist for this hat in the daily dose of fiber thread for this month. daily-dose-fiber-october-2017
I used wool in 3 layers because I wanted most of the shrinkage to be around. I wanted some height to play with.
After I cut it open I worked the edges and the rest as normal but near the end I also cut the top part of the right hand curled brim. I worked those edges to get them sealed. the rinsed all the soap out and let it dry because I was out of time for a few days. Today I finally got some time to work on it some more. I wet it all down and popped it onto a regular hat block and twisted the two long cut pieces around each other and then curled the ends around some tiny “pool noodles” I over exposed the picture trying to get the twist to show but the wool is just to dark.
Then I put in two sloped folds and pinned them with the little double pins. I found them after spending half an hour trying to fined my T pins that I gave up on finding. I am sure they are somewhere that was logical at the time but isn’t any more. I am not sure how that happens but it happens to me all the time.
It is now drying. The hat is sitting on another flat toped hat block and the pop bottle is holding the rim up so it dries in a better position.
When it is all dry I will take a picture of it again and show it to you.
Have you been working on any new designs lately?
13 thoughts on “New Felted Hat in Progress”
Great job Ann! From the resist I would not have envisioned the resulting design. I look forward to seeing it dried and finished.
Thanks, I am hoping it dries well and will look interesting. I was hoping the resist would puzzle you a little.
Looking wonderful! Can’take wait to see it finished. I even like it with the coloured pins!
Thanks. I hope it turns out.
So far it looks great, i thought you made 1 curl, but there are 2 ?
Thanks, yes there are 2. I cut the curl in half up to the base of the hat.
Can’t wait to see it without the ‘curlers’ in. I agree with Lise that the pins look kinda cute.
LOL, I spent to much time when I was younger looking just like that.
Great hat Ann! Interesting design. I too was wondering what the “tail” was going to turn into. Looking forward to the end result.
Thanks Ruth. I thought it would be a good teaser when I posted it. It was not quite dry last night. I hope I can get better pictures today.
Your resist intrigued me and I was delighted to see what it became. It’s looking terrific but also quite challenging. BTW, I am always missing pins or scissors, usually both!
Thanks. I want to do more with resists. It if hard to get out of the boxes we build ourselves sometimes. I think scissors have a life all of their own.
You have an interesting mind, Ann! I came across your tentacles vessel the other day when I was looking for an old photo, that would make a great hat design!