Another UFO Bites the Dust

I’m still working on trying to re-do and re-work some old pieces that have just been sitting around the studio.

I found this piece that has been screen printed, stenciled and stitched. I decided to cut it up into smaller sections and make note cards out of it. It needed a background for each card so I found a piece of fabric that I could tear and fray the edges.

Here’s the background fabric. You can see on the left that it was rust screen printed with a design that was originally developed from a birch tree. At some point, I over dyed it, as you can see on the right.

And here are the four cards that I made from the one piece. I used fusible web to stick it all together, I find that to be the quickest, most reliable “glue”.  Now I will put them with an envelope in a clear sleeve and sell them at the store. They fit right in with the fall season.

We took a hike last weekend and the aspen and birch trees were just gorgeous. It’s definitely fall in Montana.

This entry was posted in Surface Design and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Another UFO Bites the Dust

Brilliant – two birds with one stone – a ufo dealt with and stock made for the shop! The leaf cards are pretty and seasonal, so they should sell.
    The autumn trees are pretty – will that photo inspire more sketchbook work for your aspen study?

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Lyn, I want to make stuff that I can get out of the house 🙂
      I took a bunch of photos for my tree/aspen study. I have many more I want to try. Just not enough time to do it all.

2. Mary Stori says:

Great save……notecards are such a marvelous way to utilize our small pieces/scraps!

3. Nice work Ruth, great surrounding you live in.
    I am just reading the book : Interpreting themes in textile art.
    Something recognizible for you, i think.

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Jifke! I love where I live and the natural surroundings show up in my work all the time. The book sounds interesting. Let me know if you like it.

4. herbalsheila says:

Awesome! You are very creative. I would never have come up with making cards using felted wool.

Beautiful cards! I need to do that with some of my UFOs. Beautiful scenery. We’re about ready to head north and hope to see some nice autumn scenery.

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Marilyn, it’s a great way to use small pieces for sure, or just cut up bigger pieces as I did here. Hope you see some great autumn leaves on your trip.

6. Great save with the card Ruth. I keep meaning to do card but never seem to get to it. The leave here are turning lovely shades. I go out of the house with sunrise these days and it is breathtaking. One day I would like to see Montana, It looks beautiful.

7. Flextiles says:

Lovely cards and autumn scenery! Any ideas for what to do with 3D UFOs?

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Kim! I have some of those too, so perhaps I will come up some ideas as I keep working on transforming things from the studio. But you could always cut them up into small pieces and reassemble them 🙂