Nuno Samples For Scarves

We’re making scarves at the well-being centre. To practise, I took in some strips of scrim, some fine 18.5 mic Merino and some scarf samples made with the scrim and wool. These are the scarf samples:

The top one has a fine, narrow strip of wool all the way around; some random narrow strips and a few ‘blobs’ of blue:

The second one down has a simple grid pattern made from fine, narrow strips:

The middle piece has two fine layers (1 horizontal, 1 vertical) of wool tops:

The fourth one down had resist strips placed along the scrim, then two fine layers of wool, and embellished with some very shiny cellulose fibre I got in a bag of Botany lap waste-it’s different to any others I’ve got, but closest to viscose, so from what WoW sold at the time, I’m guessing it is Tencel:

The bottom piece has a fine, narrow strip of wool all around and through the centre, and has wool in the same position on the back of the piece. It’s the only one which does. I also fulled the middle more than the outside, so the edges waved:

The last orange one at the side has flowers in the middle made from the same 18.5 mic Merino, and leaves at each corner, it also has leaves on the back at each corner:

And for something a bit different, I made a demo scarf using dyed, irregular pieces of scrim as a base This is the scrim side:

And the wool side, also using 18.5 mic Merino, and embellished with viscose:

Our freak early Autumn warm weather was over as soon as it appeared, so it looks like we’ll be needing scarves soon!

This entry was posted in Nuno Felting and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Nuno Samples For Scarves

I’m rather taken by the blue – I think it would make a ‘statement’ scarf.

They are all lovely, but agree with Lyn about the blue β€œstatement β€œscarf.

3. Rovingone says:

I like the blue one too, both the irregular shape and the different shades which remind me of denim patches.

Great samples Zed! Which scarves did the students like best? I agree with everyone else here so far that the blue one is very striking. I love the irregular shapes.

Thanks, Ruth πŸ™‚
      I think everyone liked a variety, no one made a similar one – as usual everyone just used the samples as a reference or springboard and did their own things!

5. Karen Lane says:

Interesting group of samples Zed. I’m in agreement regarding the blue sample….I love the irregular shape of that one, it would make a wonderful collar.

Thanks, Karen πŸ™‚
      it was a last minute idea and probably wouldn’t have worked as well if I’d planned it more!

6. Great samples Zed. It’s a good group you have.

7. Margaret Griffiths says:

I’m new to felting. What is scrim?

Hi Margaret, scrim is a very open weave cotton fabric, a lot like cotton gauze (what you get for wounds -medical gauze). It’s more open and light compared to cheesecloth or muslin.