Second Quarter Challenge Part 2

My second Quarter challenge is all finished. Better late than never.

After fulling the pot the design was almost completely gone.

I Got out my handy dandy disposable razor and gave it a good shave to get rid of the fuzzies. The design magically reappeared. A tiny bit of sun came out for the pictures. It has been raining and raining and raining here so not great pictures.

I finished felting the relief picture. The inside yarn didn’t feel a secure as I wanted so I went all around it with a felting needle before deciding how to reveal the encased yarn. I had originally planed to cut the darker green away but thought it might more like it occurred naturally if I shaved it.

I wanted it to look like a piece of something, a tablet or piece of cloth that had been dug up or found in grave goods.  The colour is closest on the right hand one. the background is dark mass green and the picture is a lichen green. I tried to fix it but it just made it worse. I like it. I think I will frame it as is.

This entry was posted in Challenges, Design, Uncategorized, Wet Felting and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Second Quarter Challenge Part 2

These came out great and I think you have achieved your goals. Amazing what a bit of shaving can do 🙂

2. Thanks Ruth. Yes my razor is one of my most useful tools.

Wow, Ann, both came out terrific. The cloth idea is awesome. I would frame it, too!

The cloth is terrific and it will look good in a frame. It really looks as if it was made centuries ago.

You’ve also managed, by clever use of colour, to make the pot look as if it could have been ‘dug up’ – it looks like metal with a hammered pattern – lovely shape too. What a difference your razor made!

The pod looks great, Ann! The wonders of a good shave 😀

6. lawlovely says:

Reblogged this on Yarnsage and commented:
    I love the design of this felted pot. I can see two more in different sizes and heights to make an interesting decor for the home.

7. meterrilee says:

These are really nice and you definitely achieved the aged look you were aiming for, in my opinion. I rarely use a razor! I think I’m going to start using one–I really love how it helped reveal the design. I made some vessels early on in my discovery of felting, but I didn’t felt them hard enough and they are a little floppy. I am going to try my hand again. Thanks!

• Thanks. if you still have your pots you could wet them and work them some more to make them hard enough. Definitely get a razor if you are doing surface design.

They both turned out really well, Ann 🙂 I love the pot, the shape is so neat and even.

9. Pingback: Second Quarter Challenge Finnished | Shepherds' Spring Farm