Connected Paths

I told you in another piece about an art show my guild is having to celebrate Canada’s 150th birthday . This is another piece I made for it. It is called connected.

As usual I started with  2 pieces of prefelt with a piece of cheese cloth in the middle for strength without bulk.

Then I added some multi coloured top I had. I didn’t want the path to be a solid colour.

I cut out prefelt pieces to make all the different houses. I tried to get houses from around the world. I didn’t place them in any particular order and every section got an apartment. I tacked all the pieces down using  felting needles. I didn’t want them to move.

Then bushes and trees were added.

I started this project back in December. I spend along time hand stitching ( and unpicking and redoiong) the windows and doors. I tried to use different yarns for every house and apartment. Then I signed up for Ruth’s free motion embroidery class.  I didn’t have much time to practice before I had to do the trees and bushes so it could go to be made ready for the guild show. The stitching is perhaps not the greatest but I think it goes well with the style of the picture.

I did get it in, in time and it has now been catalogued and properly photographed. The Guild art show celebrating Canada’s 150th birthday will be open on May 9, 2017 in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Here’s a link to the invitation. https://www.facebook.com/events/282526522160719/?active_tab=about

Unfortunately Facebook will not let you create a 3 week event so it only shows as a 2 week event. The actual dates to see all 150 12×12 pieces ( many are for sale)   are May 9-28. We are having a reception on the last day so if you would like to meet some of the artists join us for refreshments on the 28th  between 1:00 and 3:00.

This entry was posted in Announcements, Design, Fairs and Shows, Free Motion Stitching, Prefelt, Shows, Stitching, Uncategorized, Wet Felting and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Connected Paths

1. Tracey says:

I really like that Ann, I love the attention to detail in the sewing, super job.

It’s wonderful Ann – your attention to getting the detail right has really paid off. That piece deserves its place in the show and I’m sure it will be a talking point.
    I know the piece has meaning but a viewer doesn’t need to know that because it’s just so pretty anyway.

3. Karen Lane says:

What a lovely design, I just wish the show was nearer!

4. Judith says:

It’s a lovely piece Ann; bright, eye-catching, well finished and a good interpretation of the theme.

5. nvukadinovic@gmail.com says:

Wonderful piece, Ann. I bet you are going to sell it.

6. Ann, congrats on creating a beautiful piece to honor Canada’s birthday. The colors, texture and movement are outstanding!

Ann, it’s a beautiful piece representing Canada’s anniversary. I love the colors, texture, movement and all the details. Too bad I wasn’t closer it would be nice to see it in person.

Ann, this looks amazing! The stitching really makes everything come to life. And happy birthday Canada 🙂

9. meterrilee says:

I really like this. It’s very imaginative and unique. The machine stitching looks wonderful–your trees especially. I would love to see this show too! How great to be celebrating Canada’s 150 year anniversary! Wow! I should drive up to Vancouver at some point this year, to enjoy a party with our Canadian friends. 😀 Better do some research on upcoming events.

10. meterrilee says:

I meant to ask you how will you frame (or not)?

Well done Ann and the stitching is great. Glad you got it finished in time to be in the exhibition. Too bad all of us can’t come to see the exhibit.

12. Looks fabulous and such a great design idea!

13. Lise G says:

Wow! I really love your idea as well as the result. Bravo!

14. Well done! The colours, curves, stitching – it’s great!

That’s really cool, Ann 🙂 The idea is great and it turned out really well, I’m impressed with your stitching!