Free Motion Stitched Felt Leaf Cards

I wrote a post about these felt leaves on my Permutations in Fiber blog and asked for ideas for what people would do with them. I got loads of good ideas but I decided the easiest one for me to do was making greeting cards out of them as suggested by Terri Berry. Thanks Terri for the great idea.

Felt Free Motion Stitched Leaf Cards

I have lots of colored paper, most from screen printing with thickened dye. Many times I rinse the paper after screen printing so that the dye won’t run if I use other wet media on top. Since I wasn’t going to use any wet media on these, I just left them. They are a much more vibrant hue without rinsing.

Felt Free Motion Stitched Eucalyptus Leaf Card

Each card is different but I mainly used two sets of printed papers.

Felt Free Motion Stitched Rhomboid Leaf Card

I used fusible to attach the paper to the card.

Felt Free Motion Stitched Ovate Leaf Card

I hand stitched the felt leaves down to the paper before fusing.

Felt Free Motion Stitched Oak Leaf Card

I really like how these turned out and that the leaf is not completely attached around the edges.

Felt Free Motion Stitched Falcate Leaf Card

The back side of the felt was printed but didn’t turn out too well. This leaf is the back side of the felt.

Felt Free Motion Stitched Elliptic Leaf CardI looked up different leaf shapes online so I would make a variety. This leaf was inspired by one of Lyn’s (RosiePink) leaf bowls.

Felt Free Motion Stitched Digitate Leaf Card

Here’s the last one with the gold and blue paper.

Felt Free Motion Stitched Palmate Leaf Card

I ran out of the paper I was using so I decided to use this screen printed paper from one of Louise’s deconstructed screens. It really gives a sense of motion to the card, don’t you think? These cards were put into cellophane and will be off to the shop for sale. I’m a little late for autumn but better late than never. Perhaps I should make some felt stitched snowflakes for the winter season?

This entry was posted in Free Motion Stitching, Wet Felting and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Free Motion Stitched Felt Leaf Cards

1. Jill says:

These are super, what lovely colour combinations, natural yet bright. I’m sure they will fly off the shelf

2. Sure is a great idea making cards !! They turned out lovely! I need more time !!!

Snowflakes would be lovely! The leaves make great cards and I’ll think they’ll be popular in the shop.

4. Penny Peters says:

These are beautiful Ruth. Happy Holidays to you and family.

Beautiful colors! I’m sure the cards will sell right away they are lovely.

6. Teri Berry says:

They are gorgeous Ruth, I knew you would turn them into something amazing with a few scraps of paper that someone else might throw away! 🙂 I love how you used the punched edge of the paper, even I would have thrown that away but you made a statement out of it – brilliant! 🙂

I think you have just inspired me to use up some of the printed pages I made during your screen printing class…

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Teri! I do think some people look at my paper stash and think “what the heck is she saving that for?” I love using the punched edge of the paper, I think it adds character to what might be a less exciting card. I hope you do use some of your printed pages, I’d love to see what you come up with.

7. Great cards Ruth and making snow flakes sounds like a great plan. I am sure they will be popular in the shop.