Textures

Do you remember my green thing from the other week? Well, I finally got around to finishing it off. It started off as a fine, wispy, flat piece with lots of commercial art yarns through the layers. I gathered it and stitched through to secure then re-wet and finished fulling it. I usually work them on bubblewrap and my felting board at this stage, but I just put it in the washing machine with a quick wash, and it came out pretty much the same. I did finish off the top between my hands though:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI thought it’d make a nice hanging decoration. This is a closer look:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI love all the textures on these pieces with the yarns emerging through the wool and the surface embellishments:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAYou can see the ripples better from this angle:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThe back looks good too:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERATalking about textures and emerging, this is a piece Cath made at the Well Being centre. She didn’t have anything particular planned, just wanted to make a piece without too much thought for the fun of it. Felt is great for that, it’s like a whole load of therapies rolled into one and great to lose yourself in for a while. She used some grey Merino, tassley yarn and some fabric strips:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAA slightly closer look:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThe fabric strips look different depending on their angle:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAMore texture:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI did finally have a go on my spinning wheel last week, hopefully I’ll get a chance to spin some more and take some photos for next time 🙂

13 Responses to Textures

1. Great piece Zed. It’s hard to tell, how big is it? will you hang it as is or mount it on a canvas?

Thanks, Ann 🙂
      it’s probably about 6 inches tall and 4 across now. I thought I’d make a similar or contasting cord for hanging it.

It’s a kite! It’s even got a tail. Very pretty colours and texture.

Have fun with the wheel.

Thanks, Lyn 🙂
      That’s what gave me the thought of it being a hanging/danfling decoration, the fact it reminded me of a kite!

I thought the same as Lyn, it’s a kite 🙂 It is a very happy piece. And the grey piece by Cath has some really nice texture.

I love your creation, Zed! Although I’ll admit I’m having trouble seeing it as a flat piece – in my head, it’s begging to be stuffed and made into a 3D thing, hug from the ceiling…

I love how one of the details of Cath’s piece resembles a snake in my eyes, too 🙂

Thanks, Leonor 🙂
      well, I pictured it hanging from a ceiling at first, but then I started wondering about making a back for it and stuffing it, or even another 3 pieces to make it very 3D. I have a Chinese decoration which is a 3D diamond, I think it’s called a zong, but can’t find similar ones on the internet, I probably suconciously got the 3D idea from that.

• Leonor says:

Well then, I’m looking forward to seeing if it’ll become a 3D Chinese decoration or not 😊

🙂
      I think it needs some proper thinking about and some maths, maybe starting a new project and making new pieces would be easier!

5. Karen Lane says:

That’s an interesting piece Zed, it does have an oriental look about tI.

The green hanging is great Zed. I love all the textures and colors! Caths piece is interesting as well. Very nice textures!