Second Quarter Challenge

I know it’s taken me a while, but I finally got around to doing Ann’s 2nd Quarter Challenge! One thing I like more than colourful felt, is lots of colourful felt! So, when I have a nice collection of offcuts, I like to put them together in a collage and make something out of it. I’d been wanting an ‘alternative’ bag to my little drawstring bag for a while now, and I’ve got a canvas satchel which I really like, but I wanted something a little bit smaller, so I thought I’d go with a smaller version of that. I worked out the dimensions for the length and width I’d need it, marked out where the front, back and flap would be, then pieced all my strips together:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThe middle section with all the nuno pieces would be the back, I positioned them there because I know from experience that felt, especially Merino felt, can bobble/pill easily when it rubs a lot, like bags do around the hip area. When I trimmed the edges and folded it into shape, I realised the front flap was a bit too long to add satchel straps, so I went with a magnetic closure. This is what it looked like from the front when it was finished:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis is how it looks when it’s open:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis is the back (with the front flap open):

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAFor the side panels, I tried quite a few felt pieces, One which looked really good was a piece I’d made from woven pencil roving, but I knew it’d be too thick once the hook straps were added, so, and I don’t know why this is still hard to do after all these years, but many will understand, I cut up a piece of nuno felt I made a while ago. I’m not sure I ever showed it because it’s blue and I have a hard time taking photos of blue, but here’s one end of it:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI cut strips for the sides, and thinner strips to make the straps to hold the bag hooks in place:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI got the findings from another bag I bought from a charity shop just for them. I recently bought 10 metres of rainbow webbing with a bag in mind and it went perfectly with this bag, I even got the findings attached the right way around the first time!:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAnd on the rainbow theme, if there are any Mancs out there, Happy Pride weekend! πŸ™‚

This entry was posted in Challenges and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Second Quarter Challenge

1. Great little bag, a fab use of off cuts Zed. I couldn’t use a bag that small. My wallet wouldn’t fit in it. Pride was a couple of weeks ago here. It’s on a different week in every city. You could go to a different one every weekend all summer.

Thanks, Ann πŸ™‚
      It’s about 8.5 inches high, 8.5″ wide and an inch deep (22 x 20.5 x 2.5cm). It’ll fit a fair bit in it, but the idea was to have a bag for just essentials. Pride is on a different weekend in each city here, too. A lot of the smaller places just have one day, but we need a 4-day event up here! (and a week or two either side of fringe events)

It’s fabulous Zed! Love it! In fact I would never tire of looking at it because it’s so complex and you see something different each time you look (and the rainbow webbing is briliant).

Thanks, Lyn πŸ™‚
      I love the rainbow webbing, my thinking was it’ll pretty much go with everything, so get loads, then after making the bag – with removable strap, it occured to me I probably didn’t need quite that much!

Fab bag, Zed! I wouldn’t wear it myself, but I can see a colour-loving person taking it for a walk πŸ˜€

Thanks, Leonor πŸ™‚
      Funnily enough, I re-sorted my offcuts when I tidied up and had quite a few blacks and dark greys, I might have to think of something for those.

4. Cathy Gillis says:

I love this bag and the photos you provided! Beautiful job. Happy Pride, indeed!

5. Karen Lane says:

Loving your bag Zed!

Great colorful bag Zed! I agree with Lyn about seeing something new each time you look. I’m sure you’ll get lots of compliments when you take it out.

7. Teri Berry says:

Fab bag Zed, it has “bags” of personality (sorry, I couldn’t resist! πŸ™‚ ), hope you are getting lots of use out of it at the pride events? Have a wonderful time πŸ™‚

Ha ha, thanks, Teri πŸ™‚
      I wasn’t really well enough to going to Pride, but the photos were great πŸ™‚

I do need to send you my felt scraps, you do such a great job of putting them together. Enjoy the bag and the pride events πŸ™‚

Aaw, thanks, Ruth πŸ™‚
      I feel guilty for taking so many compliments really when much of it is nuno!

9. 1marylou says: