Resurrecting Silk Paper Bowl
Last month I wrote about doing more experiments with UFOs and my silk paper bowl disaster. https://feltingandfiberstudio.com/2016/06/20/more-experiments-with-ufos/
Fortunately, Lyn suggested I try Ruth’s Felt Scrap Bowl method. https://feltingandfiberstudio.com/2011/12/11/felt-scrap-bowl-tutorial/
I was hesitant at first because it required free motion stitching. Something I haven’t mastered. But I needed the practice, so this was a good opportunity to do just that.
The first thing I did was to tear it apart.
Then I laid it out in a round shape.
I could have left it plain, but decided I had some hand dyed yarns that would add some texture and interest and complimented the silk.
I proceeded to cover it on both sides with the Sulky water soluble stabilizer on top before pinning and stitching. I know I should have put down the Sulky before designing, but I’m getting good at flipping projects.
Then came the fun part — stitching it. I had a lot of trouble with the thread breaking, the tension being picky and a lot of stops and starts but I finally got it finished. Although I didn’t use fancy designs, it’s pretty much straight lines up and down and around.
Following Ruth’s directions, I wet down the package leaving it a little sticky and draping it over a jar then adding folds.
It looks a little droopy and sad. I let it dry overnight and was surprised in the morning to find a very pretty textured and dimensional vase.
While it’s not strong enough to hold anything, I could put in a glass or clear plastic to be able to set something inside. I even toyed with getting a small battery type light and making it a little lamp. There are plenty of holes and it’s very thin. It might work. If I can find such a light, I’ll post pictures on the forum.
Thanks Lyn and Ruth! I’m pleased with the results and the fact I was able to reuse the silk. Oh, I have some left but not enough for a vase. I’ll have to find something else to make with it and get more free motion practice.
20 thoughts on “Resurrecting Silk Paper Bowl”
That is beautiful! Well rescued! I think it would look really nice with a battery powered tealight in it. You have inspired me to have a go.
Thanks dottyhendesigns! I’m glad it inspired you. We’d love to see the results on the forum when you do. http://feltandfiberstudio.proboards.com/
Love it! What a brilliant rescue – it’s very pretty. Got a little silk leftover? How about a brooch (pin)? It could be used on a jacket, scarf, bag, hat etc
Thanks Lyn! The idea to use Ruth’s tut was key. I’m glad I added the yarn it really gave it some nice texture In addition to the sheen. A brooch is a great idea.
Fantastic rescue Marilyn! The colours and shape are gorgeous, I totally agree it will look wonderful with some small led lights inside to show off the textures and folds
Thanks Teri! I will definitely find a light for it.
That’s gorgeous, Marilyn! The colours are lovely. I did buy some of that water soluble stuff when Ruth posted her tutorial, but haven’t tried it yet. I think it’ll look great with a little light in, Ann told me about those fake tea lights a few years ago, and I got some to take to fairs for my vessels, they work really well, mine even have a fake flicker!
Thanks Zed, I’ll check out our Dollar Store first.
Thanks Zed! I had this water soluble stuff for years as well. I can’t even remember why I bought it. :-). Where did you find the lights? I have a large one that’s battery operated for closets but haven’t seen small ones. But then I haven’t looked.
I think I got mine from either Poundland or a Quality Save/Home Bargains, both very cheap shops selling homewares etc. I might have got 4 for £1!
Marilyn there’s loads on Amazon – type in the keywords “led tea lights”.
I love this…the colors are spectacular, too. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Cathy! You’re quite welcome.
Looks great Marilyn! I’m glad the tutorial was useful and that you got a little practice on your free motion stitching. You can usually find the small tea lights at the hardware store or home store. I think it would look beautiful with a light inside.
Thanks Ruth! Your tutorial was a big help. I will definitely look for the light this week and post a pic on the forum.
Terrific save, Marilyn! It takes courage to rescue an abandoned project (have a couple of those myself). Everything came together beautifully!
Thanks Cathy! I was very surprised and pleased with the outcome.
Great remake Marilyn. I think you are still working in the last quarter. LOL
Thanks Ann! You’re right, I have to get with the program for my own challenge. 🙂