Resurrecting Silk Paper Bowl

Last month I wrote about doing more experiments with UFOs and my silk paper bowl disaster.  https://feltingandfiberstudio.com/2016/06/20/more-experiments-with-ufos/

20160429_160708

Fortunately, Lyn suggested I try Ruth’s Felt Scrap Bowl method.  https://feltingandfiberstudio.com/2011/12/11/felt-scrap-bowl-tutorial/

I was hesitant at first because it required free motion stitching. Something I haven’t mastered. But I needed the practice, so this was a good opportunity to do just that.

The first thing I did was to tear it apart.

20160430_112154

Then I laid it out in a round shape.

20160623_151719

I could have left it plain, but decided I had some hand dyed yarns that would add some texture and interest and complimented the silk.

20160623_153215

I proceeded to cover it on both sides with the Sulky water soluble stabilizer on top before pinning and stitching.  I know I should have put down the Sulky before designing, but I’m getting good at flipping projects.

Then came the fun part — stitching it.  I had a lot of trouble with the thread breaking, the tension being picky and a lot of stops and starts but I finally got it finished.  Although I didn’t use fancy designs, it’s pretty much straight lines up and down and around.

Following Ruth’s directions, I wet down the package leaving it a little sticky and draping it over a jar then adding folds.

20160707_150652 20160707_151147

It looks a little droopy and sad. I let it dry overnight and was surprised in the morning to find a very pretty textured and dimensional vase.

20160708_142732 20160708_142758 20160708_142742

While it’s not strong enough to hold anything, I could put in a glass or clear plastic to be able to set something inside.  I even toyed with getting a small battery type light and making it a little lamp.  There are plenty of holes and it’s very thin.  It might work.  If I can find such a light, I’ll post pictures on the forum.

Thanks Lyn and Ruth!  I’m pleased with the results and the fact I was able to reuse the silk. Oh, I have some left but not enough for a vase.  I’ll have to find something else to make with it and get more free motion practice.

This entry was posted in Free Motion Stitching, Repurpose, Silk and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Resurrecting Silk Paper Bowl

1. That is beautiful! Well rescued! I think it would look really nice with a battery powered tealight in it. You have inspired me to have a go.

Love it! What a brilliant rescue – it’s very pretty. Got a little silk leftover? How about a brooch (pin)? It could be used on a jacket, scarf, bag, hat etc

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Lyn! The idea to use Ruth’s tut was key. I’m glad I added the yarn it really gave it some nice texture In addition to the sheen. A brooch is a great idea.

3. Teri Berry says:

Fantastic rescue Marilyn! The colours and shape are gorgeous, I totally agree it will look wonderful with some small led lights inside to show off the textures and folds

That’s gorgeous, Marilyn! The colours are lovely. I did buy some of that water soluble stuff when Ruth posted her tutorial, but haven’t tried it yet. I think it’ll look great with a little light in, Ann told me about those fake tea lights a few years ago, and I got some to take to fairs for my vessels, they work really well, mine even have a fake flicker!

Thanks Zed! I had this water soluble stuff for years as well. I can’t even remember why I bought it. :-). Where did you find the lights? I have a large one that’s battery operated for closets but haven’t seen small ones. But then I haven’t looked.

6. Cathy Sizer says:

I love this…the colors are spectacular, too. Thanks for sharing.

Looks great Marilyn! I’m glad the tutorial was useful and that you got a little practice on your free motion stitching. You can usually find the small tea lights at the hardware store or home store. I think it would look beautiful with a light inside.

Thanks Ruth! Your tutorial was a big help. I will definitely look for the light this week and post a pic on the forum.

9. Terrific save, Marilyn! It takes courage to rescue an abandoned project (have a couple of those myself). Everything came together beautifully!

10. Great remake Marilyn. I think you are still working in the last quarter. LOL

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Ann! You’re right, I have to get with the program for my own challenge. 🙂