Felt Scrap Bowl Tutorial

Mixed Media Bowl made from Felt Scraps

Last year I made felt poinsettias for Christmas out of red and green felt. I ended up with a pile of felt scraps. I saved them of course. Who knows when you’ll need a small piece of felt? Recently, I saw someone online (I’m sorry I don’t remember where or have a link) making scrap bowls from left over quilter’s cotton fabric.  I thought that would make the perfect project for using up my felt scraps. So I used water-soluble stabilizer, some yarn, the felt scraps and free motion stitched it up on my sewing machine. It worked like a charm.

I have included the PDF tutorial below (Thanks Karen for helping me out with that!) and I’d love to see what you make using the tutorial. After I made the bowl, I thought it would be a great idea to use the green scraps to make small Christmas tree ornaments. I haven’t gotten those done yet but if I do, I’ll show you how they come out. This process could be used in a number of different ways and I’d love to hear if you come up with a different way to use the technique. Have fun and if you make something from the tutorial be sure to post it to our Flickr group photos.

felt-scrap-bowl-tutorial

This entry was posted in Mixed Media, Tutorials, Wet Felting and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Felt Scrap Bowl Tutorial

1. What a fabulous idea Ruth!! Cant wait to read the tutorial!!

2. Beth says:

What a great way to use up all those odds and ends of felt and yarn lying around! Thanks for the tutorial.

Thanks Elizabeth and Beth! I hope you’ll show us what you make if you try the tutorial.

4. Karen says:

Ruth this would have to be one of my favorite pieces to see, it looks so beautiful and its hard to believe its made from scrap. amazing 🙂

5. Pingback: Felt Scrap Christmas Tree Ornaments | feltingandfiberstudio

6. anne says:

thanks so much for sharing and inspiring. i hope to do a piece and will try to get it uploaded. anne

You’re welcome and I hope you’ll post it in our Flickr group for everyone to enjoy.

8. joy says:

wow love it, you are so creative. very well done
    where do you buy the stablizer from?

Thanks Joy. I think I bought the stabilizer at JoAnn’s. You should be able to find it at most fabric stores, quilting stores or certainly online if you have no local resources. I think the kind I used was Solvy brand.

10. Pingback: Felt and Fibre scraps | feltingandfiberstudio

11. Pingback: Free Motion Machine Embroidery | feltingandfiberstudio

12. Pingback: Textile Bowl and the Finished Apron | Teri Berry Textile Artist

13. Pingback: Resurrecting Silk Paper Bowl | feltingandfiberstudio

14. Wonderfull Ruth! I have to find-out if they sell Solvy in Holland, I have never heard of it.