Last Chance and Stitching on Printed Felt

Felted Concertina Hat by Teri Berry

It’s your last chance to sign up for Teri Berry’s Felted Concertina Hat online class today. There are only a couple of spots left, so first come, first served. It’s going to be a really great class so if you’ve always wanted to know how to make a concertina type hat, you should sign up now. Registration will close tonight and the class starts on August 11th. Click here for more information.

Water Lily

I have been busy creating my next online class Print, Stencil, and Play with Thickened Dye on Felt. It will be ready soon and I’ll be announcing the dates of the class and opening the registration by the end of August. (Keep an eye out here or send me a note on our contact us form if you’re interested in taking the class.) So I have lots of samples and in my “spare” time I have been stitching on them to give that finishing touch.

Close Up of Stitching

The water lily is getting highlights added with hand stitch. The outline stitch is stem stitch and the little bitty stitches are seed stitches.

Here’s some felt that was screen printed several times and then I stenciled the falling leaf design with green screen printing ink. The ink was a bit too dark (on the left) so I added a bit lighter green with colored pencil and veins with a gel pen. I also did a bit of free motion stitching on the machine around the edges of the leaves. They show up a little better now.

Close Up of Leaves

So don’t be shy about using other forms of art media to add to your felt. Just give it a try to see what happens!

This entry was posted in Free Motion Stitching, Online Classes, Surface Design and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Last Chance and Stitching on Printed Felt

The added stitching does make a difference Ruth.

Both classes sound great!

2. I agree with Lyn… the small stich really adds to the design…

3. This looks like it is going to be a great class when your done Ruth.

The stitching definitely adds to the prints Ruth. The class looks like it will be fun.

5. Teri Berry says:

Beautiful prints Ruth, the water lily is my favourite, absolutely stunning! Thanks for the plug about my class, we have a fantastic group of students, all very chatty, friendly and supportive which will make for a wonderfully interactive class, I am really looking forward to it 🙂

6. Karen Lane says:

Having seen these pieces I realise I need to experiment more! I’ve limited myself to stitching onto felt but seeing your beautiful stencilled leaves I think I need to have a play with printing too. Is there a particular screen printing ink you would recommend? I would love to have signed up for Teri’s class but too many things going on over the next couple of months so will have to hope she runs another later in the year.

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Karen, I love to experiment and I’m always trying a variety of art products and surface design techniques on felt. I don’t remember the brand of ink I use, any kind will work. Teri is planning another class later in the year. We’ll announce it here.

Your stitching really does add a lot to them, Ruth. I’m really impressed how defined and clear the water lily print is, and I love the background it’s on 🙂

8. tfoz says:

Wow, this stencilling is really cool!