Art Therapy, Roving and Wet Felting Class

A while ago, I was telling you about an art therapy wet felting workshop I was going to be involved with, and showed you some of the wool, fabrics and fibres which were generously donated for it. The first workshop was on Wednesday and was really busy and popular. There are two rooms we can use, so we can have a separate dry laying out area and not have to worry about anything getting wet, we stuck to one room for the first week, this photo is during tea break, but quite a few people stayed to carry on:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI think everybody enjoyed themselves making their pieces of felt, I got quite a few of the blended batts out because they’re looser and easier for beginners to use, and they were very popular. I’m afraid the photos don’t do the felt pieces justice, we’re in the basement with fluorescent lights. Here are some of the pieces made, apologies if yours isn’t shown, some didn’t come out.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

On my last post I showed a photo of some of the roving I’d made myself with a diz and a drum carded batt, I’m not sure how much there was altogether, about 25g, I think. I spun it up one night on a drop spindle:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
I didn’t do anything to it, just left it on overnight, or maybe two. When I unwound it, it was soft and loose, and not as thick as the pencil roving, I knitted it into a rectangle with the intention of wet felting it so I’ll show that next time:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Due to popular demand our next online Wet Felting Class starts on September 18th.

wet felting FOR BEGINNERS flyer SEPT 2015
It runs for 3 weeks, with an additional 2 weeks of tutor support, so don’t worry if you think you won’t be able to do it because you have other commitments. You can work at your own pace, and we’re there to answer questions and give support and advice for the whole 5 weeks no matter how far behind you are, and you can download and keep the coursework to refer back to as often as you need 🙂 You can find full details on the Class information page HERE, including details of the course content, the supplies you’ll need and also the ‘equipment’ you’ll need. Have a look at our Gallery page to see what some of the previous students made, and we also have some really nice feedback from previous students too.

Edit: I completely forgot to say that last day for signing up for the class is 16th September!

This entry was posted in Spinning, Teaching, Wet Felting and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Art Therapy, Roving and Wet Felting Class

They all look contented Zed! And the fact that some stayed on says it all. The table layout is good – the budding felters can help and encourage each other all the time.
    Shame about the fluorescent lighting but the pieces still look great.
    (I have fluorescent lighting in my room, but I bought ‘daylight’ tubes and they weren’t any different in price to the ‘regular’ ones.)
    I’m impressed with your drop spindle ‘yarn’ and I’d like to see the photo of it knitted up.

Thanks, Lyn 🙂
      I’ll try to remember that about the daylight bulbs. I did use my ‘fluorescent bulb’ setting on the camera for some photos which helped a bit.

Good on you for participating in the art therapy program, particularly since you were not feeling your best. The variety of flat felt pieces demonstrates the fun (and therapy) which comes with felting. Keep up the good work!

Thanks, Cathy 🙂
      I think everyone is really keen to keep learning and it’s good to be part of something.

Looks like a successful class! Looking forward to seeing the knitted up yarn that you spun. I need to get my drop spindle out and try some spinning again.

Glad to see you spinning, Zed! Next time you might try felting the singles a little to really make sure it doesn’t unravel. I want to see the knitted piece 😀

Thanks, Leonor 🙂
      I left it like that on purpose, I wanted it to unravel and be loose and soft, I like the way it looks knitted, I just have to like it not quite enough to not mind felting it though!

Glad the first session went well zed and some nice pieces to take home. 🙂 A wet room and a dry room is a bonus.

Love the yarn – super colour combo!

I’m happy the class worked out well for you and your students. A lot of nice pieces. Just the beginning. I’m sure you’ll having them wanting to learn more soon. 🙂

7. It looks like they were having a good time felting. the yarn looks nice. I like the colour combination, are you still dreaming of mint chocolate ice cream?

Thanks, Ann 🙂
      Ha, I wasn’t, but I might have to put mint-choc chip ice cream on my shopping list!

8. Pingback: Year End Round Up | feltingandfiberstudio