2nd Quarter Colour Challenge

I thought I would play around with a digital painting of mine, for Ann’s 2nd Quarter Colour Challenge.

A Digital Painting SMALLI started off using Photoshop. The first filter I used was Median, I wanted to get a simplified version of the painting:

B medianI then used some other filters to get more defined areas of colour. This one was Mosaic, I set the cell size to 50:

c mosaic 50And this was Mosaic with the cell size set to 200:

d mosaic 200I used the Crystalise filter set to 200 for the cell size on this one, the colours are similar to the 200 Mosaic one, but because it follows the shape of the original more and isn’t square, there isΒ  more colour variation:

e 200 crystaliseThe last version I did using Photoshop was using the Gaussian Blur filter. I selected 5cm x 5cm squares, then blurred that section to one colour:

e averageI uploaded the image to a site Ann recommended, Color Palette FX, and this was the result:

F colour palette fxI also used one which had been tried on the forum, Moda Palette Builder. This was a bit different, it didn’t reduce the picture to a few equalised colours, but youΒ  choose which areas of the picture you want to pick out colours from to create a palette:

G modaI always enjoy messing around with colour and on Photoshop, so this was fun.

This entry was posted in Challenges and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to 2nd Quarter Colour Challenge

I love the colours from your painting! Are you going on to use them in a textile piece?

Thanks, Lyn πŸ™‚
      I don’t know, I just wanted to try out a few ideas really, and all my other photos were of clouds or bushes so didn’t have many colours. It’d be nice to have the time and space to make something though!

2. zararooke says:

So now all you need to do is dye wool to match the palette and then make a felted version of your original digital painting. That sure sounds like a challenge to me – especially the dyeing part. But if anyone can succeed with that, I think it would be you. πŸ˜‰

Thanks, Zara πŸ™‚
      Hopefully I have enough commercially dyed wool to use or at least blend up if I try to make this in felt, I’d certainly be good at making a mess if I got the dyes out!

Fun colors Zed. It is fun to play with something really colorful. I haven’t had a chance to play with this yet. But I will be doing something sometime soon πŸ™‚ hopefully!

Thanks, Ruth πŸ™‚
      It’s easy to get carried away, I made far more versions than I showed!

I love the colors Zed. I need to try this in PS and the color generator. Now just to find a picture. πŸ™‚

The colors are outrageous, in a good way! Although I don’t have Photoshop, I did take an intro class at the local library, and I can see how playing with it could be fun and also addictive.

Thanks, Cathy πŸ™‚
      Yeah, it can be very addictive! You can easily lose a few hours on there.

6. Great picture to start with and I like all the manipulations. The colours would make a really nice scarf.