I started off using Photoshop. The first filter I used was Median, I wanted to get a simplified version of the painting:
I then used some other filters to get more defined areas of colour. This one was Mosaic, I set the cell size to 50:
And this was Mosaic with the cell size set to 200:
I used the Crystalise filter set to 200 for the cell size on this one, the colours are similar to the 200 Mosaic one, but because it follows the shape of the original more and isn’t square, there is more colour variation:
The last version I did using Photoshop was using the Gaussian Blur filter. I selected 5cm x 5cm squares, then blurred that section to one colour:
I uploaded the image to a site Ann recommended, Color Palette FX, and this was the result:
I also used one which had been tried on the forum, Moda Palette Builder. This was a bit different, it didn’t reduce the picture to a few equalised colours, but you choose which areas of the picture you want to pick out colours from to create a palette:
I always enjoy messing around with colour and on Photoshop, so this was fun.
I thought I would try blending some tints and shades for the First Quarter Colour Challenge. And yes, I did have to look back to Ruth’s post, I wanted to say ‘lights and shades’ 🙂 I chose pink Merino because I have an abundance of it and didn’t really care if I messed it up and got something awful! I used ‘Hot Pink’:
I kept it simple, I blended 3 parts pink with 1 parts white, 2 each of pink and white, and 1 part pink with 3 parts white. The original is on the left:
I did the same thing with adding black:
I did start blending with my hand carders, but did a lot of it by hand. This is all the shades together:
Then I blended them all together on the drum carder with some black and white Viscose tops, white Bamboo tops and black Nylon tops to make a batt:
I might blend some of the pinks I have with some other colours to make them a bit more useable 🙂
Ann’s daughter went into labour yesterday, so I’m doing a quick post to fill in. Thinking about the first quarter challenge on colour, I remembered a swirly rainbow piece I made a couple of months ago. I started it the same way I usually make my rainbow pieces, but instead of just adding wisps of the colours from adjacent rows to blend them together, I blended the wisps roughly by hand, then fluffed them up before adding them. I realised this might look a bit odd once it was felted, so I fluffed up wisps of all the colours and added them to the top before felting.
Mostly the wisps/rows all blended together nicely. I don’t know whether I used too much yellow here blended with orange or if maybe a few wisps wafted out of place.
You can see the texture of the swirls on this close up: