First Quarter Challenge

I thought I would try blending some tints and shades for the First Quarter Colour Challenge. And yes, I did have to look back to Ruth’s post, I wanted to say ‘lights and shades’ 🙂 I chose pink Merino because I have an abundance of it and didn’t really care if I messed it up and got something awful! I used ‘Hot Pink’:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI kept it simple, I blended 3 parts pink with 1 parts white, 2 each of pink and white, and 1 part pink with 3 parts white. The original is on the left:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI did the same thing with adding black:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI did start blending with my hand carders, but did a lot of it by hand. This is all the shades together:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThen I blended them all together on the drum carder with some black and white Viscose tops, white Bamboo tops and black Nylon tops to make a batt:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI might blend some of the pinks I have with some other colours to make them a bit more useable 🙂

This entry was posted in Challenges and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to First Quarter Challenge

Nice blending zed, and great use of the ‘Hot Pink’ 🙂 I like blends, they give a certain depth, rather than a flat, even colour. 🙂

Thanks, Judith 🙂
      Yeah, me too. I’m still not sure about pink, though, maybe a few more blends and I’ll see a potential!

2. zararooke says:

I must say, the tints and shades really were an improvement on the “hot pink”. 🙂 I do like the dark shades and the batt you got at the end.

Thanks, Zara 🙂
      I do have a lot of pink, so at least I know now I can ‘improve’ the shades of it!

I could be on my own here – I actually like the hot pink – it’s a great accent colour! And I do like the tints and shades achieved with it and the batt is lovely.

Thanks, Lyn 🙂
      I can see it working as an accent colour, especially picturing some of your pieces. I think knowing how to use colours is definitely useful.

4. Great blending. it really does help with colours you don’t like. I like the middle to shades and the final batt the best. . I agree with Lyn it makes a lovely accent colour and can make things pop. Maybe next year you should drop a few hints about being almost out of blue or wanting a nice gift card for WOW so you can try some new things.

Thanks, Ann 🙂
      I did get a lot of other breeds off my sister this year, I think it’s just the colour selection of the Merino pop up my sister finds confusing, so she picks pinks from the first page! A giift card is a good idea.

I inadvertently clicked on some Neon Pink! It’s really quite revolting, but blended with almost anything else it can look quite good. 🙂

Great job on the blending Zed. I really love the shades you got when blending with black. You could also try adding it to greens in varying amounts to “neutralize” a bright green.

Thanks, Ruth 🙂
      it did turn out well with the black, I was surprised. I wondered about green, I’ll have to try some small amounts with various other colours.

Astonishing what you were able to accomplish by blending one radical pink! Great idea for neutralizing unwanted colors.

I’ll have to see if I still have the neon green I accidentally bought years ago and neutralise that too!

Nice blendng Zed! I have found with pink and blends that it can become dirty when you felt it. I had that problem with my first batch of booties. Perhaps the brighter pink will fare better. I agree with Lyn and Ann the hot pink would be a great accent or to use for flowers.

Thanks, Marilyn 🙂
      I’ll have to try it out and see. I did blend a lot of pinks last year to get dusky shades for a present for my mum, and thought they worked out nicely, it’ll be interesting to see how the fibres work with it.