Washing some Fleece

While looking for something else I found some unknown dirty wool. There was lots of nice curls so that’s probably why I kept them. There wasn’t a whole fleece but just a piece of one, enough to fit in a dish washing bowl. Here it is sitting on top of the water before I pushed it under. There is some dish soap in the water.

IMG_2432

Here  it is soaking. This is a pretty clean piece of fleece the water isn’t very dirty.

IMG_2435 IMG_2439

Here it is drying, and after it is dry, it is much lighter gray.

IMG_2441IMG_2454

The are lots of small bits in the individual locks  so I tried just combing the ends and rewetting them to bring it back together.

IMG_2452 IMG_2453

Unfortunately it did not word as well as I hoped. They are better and perhaps if I used them on some felt or off the edge of some felt they may come back together by the end of the felting.

IMG_2486

Have you had any success in getting locks back together?

This entry was posted in Fiber Preparation, natural wools, Wool and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Washing some Fleece

1. Alisa says:

I don’t have any great suggestions on how to fix them…but I do think they are quite lovely as is. Do you think that they would just blend into a wet felted piece?

2. woolensails says:

I am having that problem with wool that a friend sent me, looks like it came right off the sheep, lol.
    I am making a sheep, so using it and will see how it turns out. Someone just told me to wind the fleece around a skewer, wet, then let it dry and it will curl back up.

Debbie

• Right off the sheep is usually smelly and greasy with lanolin. The lanolin also hangs onto the dirt. Have you washed it? I think the skewer trick would work with the long wools like wendslydale or teeswater. These are more wiggly then curly. I will try some though to see what happens.

Your locks look similar to the mystery locks I recently dyed and posted about on the March Daily Dose in Forum. I also wondered about the “fuzzy” ends and whether they would re-curl after wetting, dyeing and rinsing. They did not. And then I got to wondering about some of those long gorgeous long wool locks I have seen elsewhere.

After looking through various shops on Etsy, I noted locks that look like yours and mine being sold as “NOT prime locks.” Given that the locks are not “prime,” I was thinking of just snipping off the curly ends and using those, saving the fluffy parts for needle-felting. Does that make sense?

• Never be afraid of the scissors. So many think you should never cut wool but if it suits the purpose I say go for it. I have a friend that cuts the faded tender tips off locks when she is getting a fleece ready for spinning. Her spinning is great .

I think you should just try felting them into an edge, even if it is just a small sample. Most locks that I have had that looked like that still looked pretty curly and “lock like” when I finished the felting process. I love the colors!

Beautiful locks Ann. I don’t have much experience with locks so I’m anxious to hear what you learn when you use them. Good luck!

Lovely colours Ann!

I agree with Ruth, I often give the cut ends of my locks a little comb to fluff them out to help them felt in. They mostly don’t look that bad at all. Try a few, if you’re worried they’ll mat, slick them with a bit of lanolin hand cream 🙂 Even if you combed them and used them as surface interest they should retain their curliness.

• I think they will work ok. when they are wet they come back together so I think they should keep their shape in surface design. If I want them to stick off the edges the fluffy part will make it easier.

I don’t any have any useful advise for this, Ann, but I can say the first thing that came to mind was, “this would look really good as hair on a doll’s head!” 🙂