Dutch and Russian Wool

I got some ‘Yellowish Dutch Wool‘ from wollknoll, 34 mic ‘not suitable for felting’, it said. It seemed to felt fine for me:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI don’t know what breed it is, I’d guess Texel, maybe someone who’s bought it knows? Here’s a close up of a corner:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI Thought I’d try a variety of fibres again, so the top row is a blend of black Viscose tops and Ingeo, the narrow band in the middle is Fake Angora, and the bottom is black Bamboo and White Bamboo blended.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERADifferent angle:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis is a close up of the Viscose and Ingeo:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAnd close up of the fake Angora (it has a strange feel to it, and looks kind of waxy):

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAnother vaguely listed wool I bought was ‘Russian-Camelhair‘. I’m guessing from the way they describe things on wollknoll, that ‘Camelhair’ is the colour, it’s more reddish though.Β And this is also 34 mic but ‘This wool is especially suitable for felting’. Another guess is that this is Romanov wool. It seems to be double coated like a lot of the ones I ordered. I used Ramie fibre with this:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThe circular parts are Ramie that I fluffed up then patted down into little discs:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis is a close up of Ramie just fluffed up and added:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThe sun came out as I was taking this, I usually try not to take photos in the sun, but I liked this one:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAHave you tried any new wools or fibres lately?

This entry was posted in natural wools, Other Fibers and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Dutch and Russian Wool

No Zed, I haven’t tried any fibres new lately – that’s probably why I enjoy reading your posts!

I wonder why the Dutch wool was listed as not suitable when it clearly is?

Thanks, Lyn πŸ™‚
      I can’t imagine why the listing was like that, or why they can’t say what the different breeds actually are. I’d be more likely to order again if I knew what I was getting.

Lovely textures Zed. The first one looks like it’s springy and light. I have a bunch of new fibers to try. I think with all your fiber samples you could stitch them together and make several bedspreads. πŸ™‚ I know my pile keeps growing, too.

Thanks, Marilyn πŸ™‚
      Maybe if I stitched them onto a Merino base, but I don’t fancy a Herdwick Bedspread tickling my chin at night!

I have been making a few batts from wool that has been in my storage boxes for too long. But no new breeds. I really like the combination of the blended black and white bamboo on the top samples. The “camel” one looks the same color as the camel fiber that I used in the book.

That sounds like fun, Ruth πŸ™‚
      My camel is lighter like the coats, and about 3 times softer!

I think you’re right about the camel being just camel coloured as I my camel isn’t anything like 34 mics. more like 18. Love the Ingeo! πŸ™‚

Apart from kap merino batts (which I don’t think I’d buy again) I haven’t tried anything new for a while, but I have some karakul to try.

I got some Portuguese Merino that looks noily like your Kap Merino, I haven’t tried it yet. I tried Karakul and Karakul/Merino, they look like cairn terrier blended with shredded wheat!

5. woolensails says:

A friend send me a box of roving from samples of the wool she spins. I am trying needle felting so need to learn what ones to use for the different techniques. Some of the wool looks like it came right off the sheep, lol.

Debbie

What will you use this for, Zed? The textures look really interesting πŸ™‚

I haven’t tried any new fibres lately, but hope to soon! Let’s see…

Thanks, Leonor πŸ™‚
      I don’t have a plan, really. I did have some intention a while ago to create a large wall hanging, but then I wanted to keep some pieces, I framed others, cut some others up for collage and greetings cards, so I’m just happy to enjoy making them and learning stuff along the way!

Enjoyed looking at your samples! Lately I have been making pre-felts with merino, adding different colors to see the effects, but I have not used any unusual fibers. Those are sitting in my big bag of recently arrived WOW fiber.

Thanks, Cathy πŸ™‚
      Making prefelt sounds like fun, I haven’t done that for a long time.

8. No new fibers her but I have been eyeing nepps I think you sent to me. I have been feeling like making some “art” so I may use them there. Not today they are supposed to paint my new studio floor which means I can’t get to my current studio

I’ve been feeling like making some art too, those acrylic nepps I remembered might get used after all! Maybe I’ll get my brushes on the wool nepps to loosen them a bit. A new studio and painted floor sounds nice πŸ™‚

9. Oh i love Ramie and Bamboo! looking forward to being able to try the Rose Fibre, just did a few orders and I’m so excited for when they arrive!
    I’m still so new to the terminology i wont buy things unless i can find out for sure what they are, but this has inspired me greatly! thank you for such awesome posts!

Thanks, Nikki πŸ™‚
      I have rose fibre on my ever increasing list for my next order. I’m working on an ebook all about embellishment fibres, rose isn’t in there, but I have a feeling it will be a lot like other regenerated cellulose fibres like bamboo and viscose. There are about 18 others though πŸ™‚