Today it’s my turn for a giveaway, I’m doing fibres too, and very predictably it’s naturals! There are 4 different breeds of natural wool tops totalling aproximately 300g. There’s roughly 100g of Texel and 50g of Devon:
And roughly 100g of Grey Norwegian and 50g of Zwartble tops:
I’m also including some embellishment fibres, aproximately 150g altogether. There’ll be fibres like Ramie, Bamboo fibre, Kapok, Cotton top and Soy staple:
And Ramie, Plastic Fibre, Nylon Fibre and Cotton fibre:
I’ll try to include as many different fibres as possible. All you have to do to enter is leave a comment on this post. Make sure you use a valid email address because I’ll use that to contact you for postage details. I’ll announce the winner on the 3rd of February, so check back then. Good Luck!
I got some ‘Yellowish Dutch Wool‘ from wollknoll, 34 mic ‘not suitable for felting’, it said. It seemed to felt fine for me:
I don’t know what breed it is, I’d guess Texel, maybe someone who’s bought it knows? Here’s a close up of a corner:
I Thought I’d try a variety of fibres again, so the top row is a blend of black Viscose tops and Ingeo, the narrow band in the middle is Fake Angora, and the bottom is black Bamboo and White Bamboo blended.
This is a close up of the Viscose and Ingeo:
And close up of the fake Angora (it has a strange feel to it, and looks kind of waxy):
Another vaguely listed wool I bought was ‘Russian-Camelhair‘. I’m guessing from the way they describe things on wollknoll, that ‘Camelhair’ is the colour, it’s more reddish though. And this is also 34 mic but ‘This wool is especially suitable for felting’. Another guess is that this is Romanov wool. It seems to be double coated like a lot of the ones I ordered. I used Ramie fibre with this:
The circular parts are Ramie that I fluffed up then patted down into little discs:
This is a close up of Ramie just fluffed up and added:
The sun came out as I was taking this, I usually try not to take photos in the sun, but I liked this one:
Have you tried any new wools or fibres lately?
I mentioned in my last post that I’d finished my white texture piece that I’ve talked about recently. Here is the photo from the last post of it all sewn up. I finally managed to get a bright enough day to take a photograph. With all of the locks it’s really quite big, so I had to take it outside and photograph it on a large piece of cardboard. It’s roughly 16 inches x 11 inches, but the locks at the bottom are almost 11 inches long.
I wanted to try something different, so when I laid it out I left a space in the centre without any wool then added a piece of cotton gauze after the second layer of wool. It was here that I added the wool locks around the edges as well. I then added another two layers of wool. The surface texture around the edge of the gauze is soybean top, a piece of cotton gauze and silk noil.
In this close-up, you can see a few wisps of wool have crept behind the gauze.
The wool locks all kept their shape really well and none of them tangled together. The Angora, Wensleydale and Teeswater locks in this next photo show how nicely they turned out.
I kept the whole texture piece soft and spongey by using wools like English 56s, Swaledale, Texel and Cheviot. For surface texture I used cotton gauze, scoured Bluefaced Leicester and Wensleydale as seen in this photo.
I also used Mohair, wool nepps, raw Gotland, Teeswater and Wensleydale locks, and embellishment fibres soybean top and silk noil.
I’m really pleased with the way it turned out, especially the gauze panel in the centre. Doing this piece has given me some good ideas for future projects.