A Bit Of Colour

I thought I’d do some colourful pieces this week. The last time I ordered from World of Wool, I got some dyed Shetland wool tops, and some dyed 18.5 mic Merino. I used the dyed Shetland tops for this first piece, and a variety of cellulose fibres that I dyed a while ago, using rosiepink’s tutorial. I think I used Bamboo, Banana, Ramie, Flax, Hemp and Viscose, and there are a few wisps of soybean top too.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI didn’t add the fibres in any particular way, just lay the tops out and added more until the spaces were filled in. Overlapping in some places.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI like this close up, I like the way the fibres appear to be just sitting on top of the wool, which my girlfriend thinks looks like grass.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI wanted to try out some of the 18.5 mic merino, and some crimped nylon before I made a large scarf. I won’t be using these colours together, but thought it would help to see them better.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThe way the thinner areas of fibre contour the ripples of the felt reminds me of felting with those stringy produce bags that oranges and onions often come in.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI thought this was an unusual contrast, the denser matte nylon around the shiny Merino gives the Merino a synthetic look.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAA close up of some of the crimped fibre:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI really liked the way this turned out, I even like the two colours together 🙂

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

This entry was posted in Other Fibers, Wet Felting and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to A Bit Of Colour

Ooooh – love the first piece – so pretty!

Blue and orange does work – I wonder how they would look together if the colours were not equal i.e. either have the blue or the orange as an accent colour only?
    Or different shades of blue/orange together?

So much to try and so little time!

2. The color is amazing on this piece. Blue and orange are one of my favorite combinations in painting. The contrast of the warm and cool are just so impressive. Good job.

I love all the textures in the first piece. It’s interesting how they appear to be sitting on the Shetland. The orange and blue remind me of our Chicago Bears football team colors. :-). Very striking. I look forward to seeing the scarf.

Interesting fibers to use…you are truly a fiber enthusiast! And queen of the samplers.

Sunset clouds in a blue sky and a frosty landscape. Nature uses these combinations, so what can be wrong? 🙂 Lovely zed.

6. Teri Berry says:

I love the orange on blue, that would make a fabulous scarf but a deep purple with orange splashes sounds gorgeous too. Can’t wait to see the finished scarves… 🙂

7. I will be the contrary one and not like the colours in the blue and orange. to jarring I think. I like the way the fibers made the veins like in marble. Do you think the fibers on top of the green would come off? They do look like they are floating.

I’m sure the fibres would come off if they were picked at or poked with something, but not with normal handling. The supermacro photo is on an angle and shows things I can’t see with the naked eye, or even with my glasses on 🙂

Nice samples Zed. Looking forward to the scarf.

9. lizseville says:

Oh I do love green. But the blue is pretty too. Complementary colours and lovely fibre squiggles. I like the detail with which you explore the properties of fibre.