Monet Inspiered Peice for the 3rd Quarter Challange

I used the park scenes and the water lilies as inspiration. I had some wool that was just right for making a Monet piece.  It was  “grey” Romney wool I got years ago. It was washed but not carded. In actuality it was brown and white. That was ok I dyed it and carded it and got Monet wool. Each colour had varying shades of the dye depending on how brown or white it had been. Most of this picture is done with that wool. the blue/green is some leftover bits that had been carded together and the path is a striped top that very dark blue with some red. I think it is from Ashland bay I think.  I used a piece of prefelt for the background just so I would have a size to work with.

This is before I wet it down. I really liked it and was tempted to try and put it under glass unfelted.

monet in wool

After wetting and rubbing I rolled it put to pop in the dryer. than went off and did other stuff. I got it out of the dryer this morning and it had come unrolled in the tumbling and came out looking like this.

out of the dryer

I did manage to stretch it all out flat and square. it is approximately 17 inches by 12 inches or 44cm by 31 cm. I quite like it but think I may do some embroidery to define things a little better. The pond is not that bright and  distinctive in reality. I was pleased with the way trees didn’t all melt into one green blob.

dry

This entry was posted in Challenges, Design, Inspiration, Uncategorized, Wet Felting, Wool and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Monet Inspiered Peice for the 3rd Quarter Challange

It’s lovely Ann – the texture is great and you’ve achieved a Monet look. I like the way the trees turned out and the water lillies are perfect.

2. Teri Berry says:

I can see why you wanted to keep the unfelted piece, the textures are gorgeous but putting them under glass would have flattened them. The mottled effect on the trees is beautiful and the gold colour reminds me of autumn. Absolutely lovely 🙂

• Thank you Teri. I wish there was a way of spraying them so they were permanently stuck in the pre-felting stage. I think I will end up doing some hand work on it. The trees are quite limey in person.

3. Judy says:

Hello Ann, your Monet piece is lovely. The wool colors really became muted after wet felting it. The Romney wool gave a great texture to the piece. I look forward to seeing the stitching on it.

A lovely tribute to Monet! Colors and texture superb.

5. Cathy Sizer says:

Nicely done. I did a nuno felted shawl for my local art association challenge…Fabulous Fakes…and I used the colors from Monet’s water lily work. Where can I attach a photo which includes a picture of the inspiration painting? It sold the first night of the exhibit!

• It sounds nice Cathy. If you use the link in the sidebar it will take you to our Felting and Fiber Studio Forum. If you join ( it’s free and we don’t send advertising) you can post pictures and join in the conversations. There is a post in the challenges section where people have been posting their pictures.

Looks great Ann – it is fun to use brown,black and grey wool and then dye. I like your results.

7. Annette Gray says:

Its lovely – I need to give dyeing a go. Haven’t done a great deal and that I have done has not been too successful. Anyone got any tips?

Annette

It turned out great, Ann 🙂
    The texture is really nice, it looks like there’s silk noil blended in there.

I too am unsure whether I prefer your item felted or unfelted! Both look really beautiful, Ann 🙂

10. It’s absolutely beautiful as it is but adding embroidery will give it back some of the depth you were liking in the pre-felt stage.

11. I only do needle felting. I like a the crisper more defined textural look. But, if you plan to do a lot of hand embroidery or embellishing, the wet felting is good to make a background. Either way, it looks great.

12. lizseville says:

That really does evoke Monet.