Felt fingerless Mitts Experiment

I am still making fingerless mitts for the fall shows. I have a wool batt that was made from the leftover bits or browns and natural wools. It looks like bark to me.

brown/gray/black/white batt

brown/gray/black/white batt

Then I thought I want the mitts to have more texture. So I got out my pile of trimmings.

left overs to roll 2

I gave them a roll

left overs to roll 3

I added them to the mitts in the hopes of making it look more bark like.

wood look cuff wood look cuff 2

I put the scraps under the last layer.

It worked out but I think fatter inserts might be better.

wood look cuff 3

It is not that exciting.  I may have to add something to it, I am not sure what. Maybe some twigs sticking up or a knot hole.

I have some other ideas to try out. I will share them with you as they happen. Theses are a great size for trying things out. If they work you have a salable item and if not you learn something and haven’t lost a lot. I am not good at making things that are just samples, I want it to be useful, crazy I know.

This entry was posted in Design, Experiments, Repurpose, Uncategorized, Wet Felting and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Felt fingerless Mitts Experiment

1. craftymadre says:

I think the fabric looks great! It is really bark-like. I imagine the inserts may help to reinforce them a bit more, too.

2. I know that this is for mittens, but I really liked the look of those scraps laying on the top of the wool. They looked like my kind of embellishments.

3. Marilyn Nelson says:

It definitely reminds me of bark. Perhaps try using different lengths and thicknesses of the inserts would give it a different look. I’m sure you’ll figure it out. It looks good!

I love the look Ann. I think if you changed the lengths a bit more and made it much more random then maybe you’d think it looked more bark like. Perhaps a very small branch with a leaf?

• Thanks Ruth. I think your right. I wasn’t sure how they would show up or how stiff they would make it. I think I could get away with them all round.

Really good texture! And the colour is just right for looking like bark.
    If you make more, then Ruth’s idea to make it look more like bark sounds like a good one.

• Thank you Lyn. I don’t know if I will do another pair. they look sort of plain beside the other ones i made. If they sell this week end than I will make another pair. :O)

That worked out really well! I like everyone’s ideas too. Maybe if you split some of the pieces in half and left gaps that would create texture going across too, like split/cracked bark?

7. Billie says:

I like the color and texture. How about adding some small leaves?