Catching Up

I’ve been trying to some of the projects I started before I began working on my polymer clay e-book. I had a few purses and glasses cases cut out or part sewn up. The first one I finished was a ruffle camera case. It hadn’t even been cut out, so I did some measuring and cutting then discovered my electric machine won’t work 😦 I cleaned out the bobbin case and took the parts off and wiped them and put them back, but the needle won’t pick up the bobbin thread. From what I can tell it is timing or something and I don’t think it’s something I can fix. So, out came my ancient electric Singer without the electrical parts. It’s slow going but it works, for straight stitching anyway πŸ™‚Β  This is the front of the case:

rufflesAnd this is the back:

ruffles 2This was one of the purses I hadn’t even blanket stitched, it’s made from the same piece of felt as one I made earlier. It’s a slubbed wool which I added some cotton and silk threads to and some strips of rolled edges from silk scarves. Front:

purseInside:

inside purseThe felt this wool makes has a really nice texture. Back:

purse backA piece of coppery bronze felt that I made a while ago was just big enough to make a purse and matching glasses case.

coppery bronzeDo you have piles of WIPs at different stages?

This entry was posted in Nuno Felting, Stitching, Wet Felting and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Catching Up

I think the ‘white’ purse looks like marble – very nice – but I love the coppery bronze. It’s warm and just begging to be handled.
    The pink ruffle camera case is pretty and will definitely appeal to girly-girls.

Having a pile of WIP is a good thing because it’s easy to just pick something up and work on it for a while rather than facing a ‘blank canvas’ (and no, I don’t have such a pile at the mo, unfortunately).

Thanks, Lyn πŸ™‚
      I’m running out of WIPs, and now the weather is cooler (much cooler!) I should get some more felt made.

2. Great little bags Zed. Your blanket stich is so nice and evan. I don’t think I have many UFO’s right now. I do have some stuff I am taking apart and making into something else.

3. I don’t have a pile of WIP, however I do have enough for the start of one! Although I am not currently working on these, in my mind I am visualising how they could be finished.

It’s good to think about things for a while then you usually find the perfect felt for a project πŸ™‚

I have piles of projects lying around currently. The yurt seems to be taking over my life and I”m not getting much else done. But I’ll get back to them soon.

Your pieces are great and I also admire your blanket stitch in it’s neatness and simple beauty.

Thanks, Ruth πŸ™‚
      I can see how the yurt would take all the time at the moment, you’ll have a nice place to sit and work when it’s done though πŸ™‚

5. Marilyn Nelson says:

I agree with Lyn. Each one has a different personality that wil appeal to different tastes. I do love the copper one especially with the more organic wavy edges. I have a bunch of WIP, too many. I have to get the strength and stamina to start finishing. :-). Nice work Zed, always an inspiration.

Thanks, Marilyn πŸ™‚
      I’m really liking using the natural edges too, especially when it’s obvious and doesn’t just look a bit wonky πŸ™‚
      I did have to work up to finishing these, especially doing button holes!

• Marilyn Nelson says:

Can you use a magnetic closure behind the button? I was thinking that’s what I would do with a felt piece I have. Or perhaps that would be too bulky? I guess I like wonky. :-). I have to figure out how to post pictures. I’ve been working on some small projects just playing and learning.

I think they’re a bit too chunky for these purses. I used them on bags, but also you have to cover where the metal fixings go through. Do you have a blog or are you on the forum?

• Marilyn Nelson says:

I am a member of the forum but don’t have a blog.

I had the same problem with my sewing machine and found it was a part that was no longer available. Of course, I didn’t use it for a while and now I’m finding a million reasons i need one. πŸ™‚

I kept resisting buying a machine because I only wanted one to do zig-zag stitching for using left over pieces, then I bought my mum’s fairly new one off her. Now I miss being able to zig-zag 😦

• Marilyn Nelson says:

Oh no! It’s hard to believe a fairly new one doesn’t have zig zag. I thought that was standard. 😦

Oh no, sorry, it does have zig-zag and now it won’t work I really miss it! I zig zagged everything, probably how come it broke, I probably wore it out!

• Marilyn Nelson says:

No worries. You must do a lot of zigzagging to wear are fairly new machine. :-). Of course, they don’t make things like they used to.

I think you’re right about the magnetic closure being a bit chunky. Maybe a hook and clasp. I really don’t want to do a buttonhole either.

I probably did!
      I wondered about magnets and the strip on store/bank cards too.

6. wendy says:

Might be an obvious one, but have you tried changing your needle? If mine gets gummed up from using fusibles, I find it won’t pick up the bobbin thread. Worth a try before taking it in to be serviced. I have about 5 million WIPS! I LOVE the copper case, gorgeous colour

Thanks, Wendy πŸ™‚
      Yeah, I changed the needle, tried lowering it a bit, changing thread, redoing the bobbin in the case etc. Occasionally I can force it to work by pushing the bobbin as the needle picks up the thread, but then I’ll notice it’s stopped sewing. I don’t even know if there’s anywhere I can take it.