I dye most of my own wool. The problem is that I tend to felt my roving a bit when I am rinsing. That means I have to recard it. I had some not very pretty pink that I got bought cheap because it was a little felted. I recarded it with some other colours.
This is the wool combination I will put through the carder. the carder is big. There isn’t that much wool only about 150 grams, so I only use part of the carder.
This is the first run through.
After I take it off the drum I split the batt and flipped each section to run them through again.
This is the second time through and the final ball of wool.
This is all the wool I did.
There are a couple more blended wools in there too. Now I have to make them into something.
I am still making fingerless mitts for the fall shows. I have a wool batt that was made from the leftover bits or browns and natural wools. It looks like bark to me.
Then I thought I want the mitts to have more texture. So I got out my pile of trimmings.
I gave them a roll
I added them to the mitts in the hopes of making it look more bark like.
I put the scraps under the last layer.
It worked out but I think fatter inserts might be better.
It is not that exciting. I may have to add something to it, I am not sure what. Maybe some twigs sticking up or a knot hole.
I have some other ideas to try out. I will share them with you as they happen. Theses are a great size for trying things out. If they work you have a salable item and if not you learn something and haven’t lost a lot. I am not good at making things that are just samples, I want it to be useful, crazy I know.
Slowly the bird houses are coming along. They are now decorated, wet down.
They have been rubbed and rolled and stuffed into the tops of pantyhose. They are ready to full. With some luck that will be tomorrows job.
Two days this week I was at the Ottawa Valley Farm Show. I was demonstrating spinning with a few friends. I took some mixed batts I made buy collecting my odd bits together and running them through the carder. They have lots of colour and neps.
On day one I spun up 2 very bulky singles and one medium weight single in pinks.
Today I plied the 2 bulkies together. My wheel is not designed for such bulky yarn but with perseverance and a few choice words under my breath I got it plied.
After that I was tired of pink so I switched to my drop spindle and the blue green batt.
I am afraid I don’t have anymore pictures that turned out. We were right in front of a big picture window that was a very nice spot but not good for taking pictures as you can see from the picture of me spinning.
I think I’ve done really well with working and playing with fiber this week. I hope I can keep it up.