An Old Piece and a New Piece

I only realised yesterday when I started to plan my blog post, that all my photos are still on my old hard drive. I was looking for another felt scrap piece that I recently started on when I came across a piece I made quite a while ago which I never posted about. If any of it looks familiar, it’s because I used it for the banners for the studio site and the forum πŸ™‚
I wanted to make a piece with colours and textures inspired by the natural colours of the landscapes between Manchester and West Yorkshire. I used lots of different coloured natural wools and wool tops: Merino, Bluefaced Leicester, Manx Loaghtan, Zwartble, Black Welsh Mountain, Jacob, Gotland. I also used raw gotland locks and Lincoln locks.
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI mostly used mid to dark shades of wool and animal fibre, there’s some sandy coloured Alpaca in here too.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAFor texture I used some wool nepps.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAnd also some silk noil, I added a lot of this so it would look like a solid band.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERATo create a kind of mossy/spongey moorland type grass look, I blended some plastic fibre with some natural shades andΒ  green shades of merino.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI was really pleased with the way it turned out, especially the shape, I wanted an organic shape because I thought this suited it better.
I did find the scrap piece that I was working on, I think this will be the outside of a notebook cover.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

This entry was posted in natural wools, Wet Felting, Wool and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to An Old Piece and a New Piece

1. lovefibre says:

very beautiful, what a range of colours and I love the contrasts.

The landscape piece should be displayed – it’s too good to be put away in a box somewhere again.

I like the colours in the felt that will be a cover – it looks like everything a spectacular sunset should be.

Thanks, Lyn πŸ™‚
      I think I have some rubber circles I could attach for hanging or maybe yarn loops for a piece of driftwood.
      I wouldn’t mind seeing a sunset that vibrant!

Love the landscape and I agree with Lyn, hang it!

4. Marilyn says:

The landscape it gorgeous. I love all the different textures and nature colors. I agree with Lyn and Ruth it should be hung. The scrap piece will make a nice notebook cover.

5. I vote for hang it as well. I would like to see it mounted on a black canvas. the scrap peice iis cool too the stitching gives it good dimension.

Thanks, Ann πŸ™‚
      The zig zag stitching really does ‘make’ the whole scrap pieces, I think.

6. Karen says:

Yep I say hang it to zed, its gorgeous and I do love the scrap piece it’ll make a super cool notebook cover πŸ™‚