I wasn’t able to finish the coursework for Ruth’s Paper Lamination Class within the class time, but have since completed the last two assignments. We had a choice of several different options for the last two weeks. I chose to use one of the lamination pieces on a pillow. It was a piece of silk habatoi that I used a stencil with acrylic paint on a piece of copy paper.
I made a couple of batts with gray, a little green and purple accents over a resist. Then wet felted. Of course, I had to cut a side to get the resist out and the pillow stuffing in. While it was drying, it was a nice square shape. Now its a funky shape. But that’s ok, the colors go perfectly in my bedroom.
It seemed a little plain so I tried adding prefelt leaves, but I felt they overwhelmed the design. I was very pleased with the texture and dimension of the flowers and decided not to do any stitching like I had on the bird project.
So, I decided to stitch around the silk using a cretan stitch. It was an exercise in patience and practice. I used a silver sharpie to put a few dots in the center of the flowers as stamens.
Here’s the back with a subtle marbled effect:
Next I made a wall hanging. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture of the organza I painted. I call it “paintbrush.” In the closeups you can see the brush strokes if you look hard.
I also got some great dimension:
Here is the back:
Now it is hanging in my kitchen. Yes, the wall is teal.
I’m very pleased with both projects.
Thanks Ruth for offering the class. I really enjoyed it.