Funky Vase Cover

I had purchased a ball of yarn at a clearance sale. It’s a combination of wool, acrylic and nylon and has a bit of sparkle to it. I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do with it until I found an orange vase I had laying around.

I made a resist then covered it with with two layers of odds and end batts with similar colors.

Then came the fun – wrapping the yarn around the resist in lines.

It was a bit fiddly flipping from side to side and then at the top and bottom to keep the yarn from falling off.

When I was satisfied I was ready to felt it, I went slow and easy checking frequently to make sure it was all staying together.  I purposely didn’t leave spaces between the lines thinking the yarn would felt to the backing and itself.

As you can see it’s a bit lumpy in spots and didn’t shink as much in height, so it’s a little taller than the vase.

I did a little needle felting to straighten things out and attach a few stray yarns.  But I was happy with the wavy texture.  I did also have to shave it a bit.  Then I had to decide what to do with it.  Here is one use:

I’m sure I could also use it for flowers, paint brushes or a number of other things. What would you use it for?

This entry was posted in Wet Felting and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Funky Vase Cover

1. That looks great Marilyn. I would use it to keep my given public relation cards .

2. I love the colors and the waves. I’d use it for all my crochet hooks.

3. Tracey says:

I think it’s great Marilyn, I like the lumps and bumps, and the jazzy colours. I think it would become a pen and pencil holder for me.

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Tracey! You could pack a lot of pens and pencils in there. 🙂

Thanks!

5. Really like how the vase cover turned out, especially the rich texture made by the yarn waves. I made one of these a couple of years ago to cover a small square vase, and I keep my weaving sticks inside.

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Cathy! I do, too. It turned out better than I expected. That’s a great use for your vase.

I love the effect of the yarn that you achieved with the very close placement on the background.

I love the wavy pattern and colours!
    I would use it to keep my body cooling neck scarf in (a poly cotton tube filled with crystals that swell with cold water and it’s a great help with hot flushes). I keep it in my craft room in an open plastic tub so it’s handy to grab quickly.

Wow, Marilyn, that is ace! The shine, texture, ripples, it looks far too good for putting kitchen utensils in! I’d probably use it for a pen pot too.

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Zed! I probably should use it for pens since I have several containers filled with them scattered around the kitchen.

I love the waves! I’d probably use it to store knitting needles, it’s too pretty for the kitchen 😀

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Leonor! I love the waves, too? It would be great for knitting needles.

10. It turned out great. Wrapping yarn around a resist is a chore. I think I would probably use it for my odds and ends in the studio. rotary cutter, scissors, pens markers etc.