Different Shaped Pods From Circular Resists

Today we have the first of a few guest posts from our forum member Tracey.

I am very interested in the different ways that pods and vessels can be shaped, often seeing a felted piece and thinking ‘what shape resist did they use?’
The first pod pictured here was made using a 12” diameter round resist.  It has six layers of blended Merino wool each side, and it is embellished with silk yarn and mulberry silks.  I cut a 3” slit in the centre to extract the resist once fulled, and it resulted in an oval opening.  A crossed slit would make the opening more rounded, or you can just cut a small circle.  It is always better to start small, you can then make the opening bigger if required.

I also made a seashore pod.  This was made the same way as the green pod but I think the resist was about 19” diameter, quite big! I blended blues to replicate the sea and added white silk caps and curly locks to hopefully look like the crashing waves. I then sewed a few shells and sea glass onto the beach, using invisible thread.

Then as an experiment, I felted over another slightly smaller resist of 10” diameter, decorated it with silk caps and silk tops.  This time I cut the opening to extract the resist on the outer edge of the circle, so the bottom of the ‘vase’ is the opposite side to the cut, and here is the result.

I may sew beads around the top in an idle moment!
Here is a picture of where the openings were cut to extract the resist on the green and blue pods:

This entry was posted in Guest Writer and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Different Shaped Pods From Circular Resists

Terrific experiments Tracey! I really like the texture made by the yarn on the oval hole pod, seashore pod is so pretty and I love the silk hankie topping on the third pod.
    As you have demonstrated, cutting the opening differently does define the pod shape.

• Tracey says:

Thanks Lyn. The yarn is lovely, it didn’t felt totally in parts but I liked the raised texture.

2. Lovely pods Tracey….especially love the the dark blue one.

• Tracey says:

Thank you very much. My friend says up close the hankies make it look metallic.

Great pods Tracey! Love the organic look and feel of the seashore pod. It’s always fun to experiment.

• Tracey says:

Thanks Marilyn. I like the seashore pod too. I have plans to drill a tiny hole in the shells for future use, sewing them on would be so much easier, and more secure.

Great pods Tracey! Thanks for writing a post about your experiments.

They’re all really nice and so well made 🙂 I do love the beach though and as a hoarder of beach glass and shells, the seashor one is my fave 🙂 Thanks for this, Trace!

6. Kathryn says:

Very nice! I was thinking you used a ball, but I see you used a flat resist. How do you keep the seams/edges so smooth?

• Tracey says:

Thanks for your lovely comment Kathryn. I have recently learned not to use warm/hot water too early, this results in less wrinkles around the edges, but also lots of hard work fulling inside and out of these areas is needed too of course.

7. Deb says:

All the pieces are beautiful! Thank you for sharing your experiments!

• Tracey says:

Thank you Deb, that is so kind! It keeps the brain cells active, and if it turns into a failed project then hopefully you have thought how to make it better next time.

8. Mary Stori says:

Very nice results!

9. Great Pods Tracy, it’s great how such a simple difference changes things so much.

• Tracey says:

Thanks very much Ann, yes a different cut area and a totally different shaped pod.

10. Pam says:

TY sharing your “experiments” ! Such lovely results… as a new felter, I find it helpful to see what beauty comes through by following ones’ curiosity!

• Tracey says:

Thank you very much Pam. Glad to have helped in a small way. Please keep enjoying your new hobby.